Etiquette on tasting a bad beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
Over the weekend we went to a local bar that has been revamped by a new owner. We struck up a conversation with him when I questioned a stack of empty bottles in the corner. After finding out that we make beer at home, he asked what kind of beers we like, and over the course of the evening gave us several beers "on the house" (really nice guy ;), including a Duvel! One of them was a lager made by a local microbrewery. I dont care for lagers very much, and kind of muttered something along those lines to him, but I felt uncomfortable because he was being so nice to us and I basically was saying the beer sucked. Im curious how other people handle situations like that, do you have a "go to" comment to make if you dont like a particular beer?

I would be straight up an honest with the guy. Don't be ungratful but just tell him the truth. Its a new place so they might need some advice like that to figure out what they should have.

Did the beer have off-flavors,etc. or was it just not your favorite?

If you are getting free beer, I would say that you be polite and drink it. If someone asks, tell them that the particular style isn't your favorite.

Well the guy had recently bought the place and he is planning on (already has done one) organizing beer tastings on weekends. We thought that was a great idea because we have never really been to a tasting outside of friends houses. He was super nice and was probably trying to win over a few more customers. I think I was just uncomfortable because I've never been in that situation before. FOr a lager, it was decent, but Im not a fan of that style at all right now, which is kind of what I told him, but I felt kind of rude.

If it's good: "It is a good example of the style, but not to my tastes." If there is a definite flaw, let them know. I told one local brewer that I didn't think his lager had enough malt presence to support the bittering level. He admitted it was an experiment that he wasn't going to repeat.

And then there's, "John, your wedding champagne has turned."

On two occasions, I've told a bartender to dump my pint and ordered something else.

Immediatly chase it with chips and salsa, beernuts, or wings.

One of the things I've found as I've brewed more and tried different microbrews is I can tell the difference between a bad beer and a quality beer I don't happen to like.

I think telling the guy up front that it's not a style you like is a good move. If they want you to critque it, do you best but always follow it with, "but I'm not a fan of this style either."

I dont care for lagers very much, and kind of muttered something along those lines to him, but I felt uncomfortable because he was being so nice to us and I basically was saying the beer sucked.

+1 on the comments above about discerning between whether you like or dislike a style and whether a beer is poorly made. For example, lagers don't suck. Maybe you don't like lagers, but there are some really great lagers. Metropolitan Brewing here in Chicago makes some outstanding lagers, for example. Trumer Pils is a really good lager.

If it's good: "It is a good example of the style, but not to my tastes." If there is a definite flaw, let them know. I told one local brewer that I didn't think his lager had enough malt presence to support the bittering level. He admitted it was an experiment that he wasn't going to repeat.
QUOTE]

+1 on this.

I don't care much for most lagers either (but to be fair to lagers, there are a number of different kinds and they can vary A LOT). But the common light lager type just seems a bit lacking to my taste.

If I had to have one, and was asked my opinion, I'd just describe what I felt and then let them know that I don't care for that style. If I was asked to taste a Lambic, I'd probably do it and then tell them that "I HATE Lambics." But here is my honest assessment of this beer.

+1 on the comments above about discerning between whether you like or dislike a style and whether a beer is poorly made. For example, lagers don't suck. Maybe you don't like lagers, but there are some really great lagers. Metropolitan Brewing here in Chicago makes some outstanding lagers, for example. Trumer Pils is a really good lager.

I agree, too. And honestly, the vast majority of people who brew beer will understand that beer drinkers have different preferences--thus, you know, the reason for different styles of brewing to begin with--so you shouldn't feel as if you were being rude at all. He probably has his own most and least favorites; I'm sure he understood what you were saying, especially since you are clearly concerned with being both polite and honest.

:mug:

Back