Just cooked a batch of beer. Don't have any yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merz

Reaction score
I just finished cooking a batch of beer and realized i dont have any yeast. The stores are all closed. Can i add the yeast tomorrow?

Yes, keep it covered loosely with lid of somesort to help keep any nasties out.

I was thinking vacuum?

Edit: on second thought, probably not enough of a vacuum to worry about.

I would wait till you got yeast, before I'd use the dredging from the bottom of a few bottles.

I still need to learn the terminology. I assumed "cooking" the beer was part of the overall "brewing" process. :p

Its a chocolate stout. Its on the stove with a lid on it now.

I might have some yeast at my parents house. Im going to call and have them check. If they do, i will drive over and get it.

Im pretty sure there is some safale us05 there. Would it be ok to use that? Or should i wait till tomorrow and get some Nottinghams that the recipe calls for? Im not even sure my local store carries nottinghams.

I ended up having a pack of nottingham at my parents house. I bought all the ingredients for this beer almost a year ago and didnt remember if i bought yeast.

Only other question i might have is that the OG was only 1.06. The recipe said it should be 1.08. Any idea why that might be?

If you did a partial boil (meaning you added top-off water to the fermentor to get up to 5 gallons) then the OG is probably wasn't mixed well enough. Partial boils are notorious for having bad OG readings.

The OG could also be low because of a recipe problem, if you post your recipe we can make sure it isn't that.

I bought all the ingredients for this beer almost a year ago and didnt remember if i bought yeast.

Wow... that's quite some time. I feel like the bitterness from your hops with be thoroughly diminished (unless they were kept frozen... but even then...) Your grain might have some funky flavor unless it was kept well sealed. I dunno if this would have anything to do with your low O.G... but then again we don't know if you did all-grain or extract.

I'd also keep a very close watch on fermentation activity. If you yeast is that old too they may not be viable. Be prepared to get another pack.

The yeast was in the fridge. It expires next august. The hops were in the freezer. DME doesnt go bad does it?

It was an extract recipe. Here is the recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/german-chocolate-stout-27895/

3lbs Light Extract DME
6lbs Dark Extract DME
.5 lbs Cracked Roasted Barley
4oz Herseys Cocoa Powder (unsweetened raw Cacao)
1oz Coconut Extract
1oz Pure Vanilla Extract
2oz Chocolate Extract
1oz Saaz Hop
.5oz Chinook Hop

I followed the recipe exactly except for the hops. I used Magnum instead of the chinook, and some homegrown Cascade instead of the Saaz. I probably should have gotten some Saaz, but i wanted to use some hops that i grew myself.

The beer is bubbling steadily now about 1.5 times per second. And it is black like used motor oil.

I have only made IPAs before this beer. I mostly drink IPAs, but im starting to really like stouts, so I gave this recipe a try.

Back