flaked maize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deebee

Reaction score
Sorry for a really stupid question but is Flaiked maize corn, lthe same as the breakfast cereal CORNFLAKES?

looks the same to me in any case and is something that i have around the house all the time.

Thanks

I had the same question for a while, then finally did a Google image search of flaked maize. Guess what? Corn flakes, or damn near it if it isn't.

Frosted flakes contain even more fermentables than regular flaked maize, btw. :p

Cornflakes is not the same thing as "flaked corn".

Flaked corn is whole grain corn that's been pre-geletinized and run through a roller. Cornflakes (Kellogg's or otherwise) are a processed food that uses milled corn as its primary ingredient, but certainly is not the brewing equivalent of flaked corn. You don't really want those preservatives in your wort.

Ingredients for flaked corn:
Corn - flaked

Ingredients for Cornflakes:
Milled Corn
Sugar
Malt flavoring
High fructose corn syrup
Salt
Iron
Niacinamide
Sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
Pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6)
Riboflavin (vitamin B2)
Thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1)
Vitamin A palmitate
Folic acid
Vitamin B12
Vitamin D
Vitamin B

Even if you could find corn flakes that were just corn, the way they are cooked will give a very different flavor.

Puffed corn might work, but it tends to be much more expensive than flaked corn.

My apologies for beginning to lead you down the completely wrong path. :drunk: I learned something here as well.

Cornflakes is not the same thing as "flaked corn".

Flaked corn is whole grain corn that's been pre-geletinized and run through a roller. Cornflakes (Kellogg's or otherwise) are a processed food that uses milled corn as its primary ingredient, but certainly is not the brewing equivalent of flaked corn. You don't really want those preservatives in your wort.

Ingredients for flaked corn:
Corn - flaked

Ingredients for Cornflakes:
Milled Corn
Sugar
Malt flavoring
High fructose corn syrup
Salt
Iron
Niacinamide
Sodium ascorbate and ascorbic acid (vitamin C)
Pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6)
Riboflavin (vitamin B2)
Thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin B1)
Vitamin A palmitate
Folic acid
Vitamin B12
Vitamin D
Vitamin B

That all looks good to me, with the possible exception of the salt (depends how much salt it is) I will be trying it soon with an 18 oz box of Aldi's cornflakes breakfast cereal. $1.49. It's not the same as brewer's flaked corn, but it's actually pretty close. At least I think it's close...

Latest posts

Back