Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spaten's Oktoberfest is one of my favorites, as is Sammy's. I have a brewer's best Oktoberfest bulk conditioning right now.

Damn, I love the Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I cant wait till this comes out again.
I wish there was a clone kit for it. Its one of the best Oktoberfest beers.

Spaten's Oktoberfest is one of my favorites, as is Sammy's. I have a brewer's best Oktoberfest bulk conditioning right now.

Mmmmmm, Spaten's Oktoberfest
drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

My first favorite beer ever was the Hacker Pshorr Oktoberfest. This was back in '84 when I first had it. For a few years I would buy 5 or 6 cases in September when it hit my local store. I lost track and don't even know if it is still imported.

my biggest problem here is lagering the beer. I guess using ale yeast would be a waste of time. I have to get another fridge...:mad:

my biggest problem here is lagering the beer. I guess using ale yeast would be a waste of time. I have to get another fridge...:mad:

You could go a hybrid type style. Kolsch style to be exact. Ed Wort's Oktoberfest recipe is a nice approximation of an Oktoberfest beer without lagering.

if you have a spare tub you can do an ice bath,just add 10 LBS of ice everyday.The tub will hold cold temps well.Fermenter in the tub.

+1 on the Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest. Although it is outside of the style - a little more of a cross between an Oktoberfest and a Münich Dünkel. This past season, my party store had it in stock until February!!! I was all over it!

For those of you that don't have lagering abilities...I just made an oktoberfest with California Lager yeast from Wyeast. It ferments up to 68 degrees. I've got it right at 68 now, so when it's done I'll post info on how it turns out.

For those of you that don't have lagering abilities...I just made an oktoberfest with California Lager yeast from Wyeast. It ferments up to 68 degrees. I've got it right at 68 now, so when it's done I'll post info on how it turns out.

Not sure if you've used this yeast before, but when I did it last i got bubblegum city fermenting on the warm side of the spectrum. (~62-64). Took me about 6 months of actual lagering to tone that bubblegum down to strong but pleasant fruit overtones.

I'm in the same boat since I'm in the south. I'm going to use the Safale US-05 on the Oktoberfest that I'm going to brew this weekend.

Not sure if you've used this yeast before, but when I did it last i got bubblegum city fermenting on the warm side of the spectrum. (~62-64). Took me about 6 months of actual lagering to tone that bubblegum down to strong but pleasant fruit overtones.

That scares me. I've never used the yeast before. At this point, it's been fermenting for a week. I'm not sure if lowering the temps to 60 is a good idea or not.

Latest posts

Back