Is this regulator salvageable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
I've had this dual gauge regulator sitting among my junk-parts-that-I-will-one-day-put-to-good-use pile for years. The high-side pressure gauge is damaged (the plastic cover is missing and the needle is screwy). I was going to remove that gauge and replace it with a new one. Well, it was really difficult to remove (still don't have it all the way off), and in trying to remove the hose barb, the barb actually cracked(!). Here is a view of the remaining portion of the barb.
Is there a way I can get this piece out? Or is this beyond salvageable at this point?
Thanks
24xgdb7.jpg

You could try a screw extractor, but I bet those threads are left handed, which is probably why you snapped the gauge.

You could also very gently drill it out until there's about 1/32" of material left, and unscrew it.

B

You could try a screw extractor, but I bet those threads are left handed, which is probably why you snapped the gauge.

You could also very gently drill it out until there's about 1/32" of material left, and unscrew it.

B

If they are left-handed threads, just use any ordinary tapered-thread bolt that fits inside as an extractor.

Having inhaled a more than needed amount of CO2 recently I would trash it and buy a new one. It's is one of the parts of the brewery/serving area that I want to function 100% of the time for my piece of mind.

Thanks for the input. I just drilled the center part out, leaving some around the circumference into the threads. How do I get that part out?
Also, any suggestions for successfully removing the damaged gauge? I had put it in my workbench vise and tried turning the body of the regulator... it's not budging. It does indeed say left-handed thread on the back. Any tricks to this?

Latest posts

Back