Filtering before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy_awesome

Reaction score
Hey guys, did some searching, but I have some questions. Being the first batch of beer I made, I decided to go with a kit, I used coopers canadian blonde kit and so far so good. After doing some reading on this site and talking with a few friends I was fairly discouraged to discover that there will be some yeast deposit on the bottom of every bottle. I would prefer to drink it out of the bottle, even though it tastes better out of a glass, but whatever it's just my preference. I found some simple basket strainers with a 1 micron bag that look great, and being a plumber I can easily mock one up for cheap too. But I have a few questions first. Right now, I am siphoning the beer into each bottle, but if I were to attach a filter it would clog and I couldn't keep enough pressure to keep the siphon going either. Any opinions or experiences that seem to work for people?

You need the yeast in the bottle. The yeast in the bottle is what makes it fizzy. The only reasons to filter the yeast out are because a) you like flat beer, or b) you have some other way to carbonate the beer (like a kegerator).

The yeast in the bottom of the bottle is the sediment from the priming sugar the yeast will eat to make the Co2 to carbonate the beer. As such even if you prefiltered the beer, new sediment would form, and if you really did filter all of the yeast out, the beer would never carbonate.

Welcome to HBT.

I'm guess you have more sediment than is necessary though and it's likely in there because you didn't really give it enough time to clear in the carboy. If you're sticking with a single vessel, leave it in there for one month before bottling.

Back