Like Finding a Band-Aid in your Half-Priced Beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon1856

Reaction score
*WARNING - I am long winded. This post is lengthy.*

I like deals. A lot. I'm not rich...closer to poor, so I like to find deals on brewing stuff when possible. Enter this online brew supply store...

I want to brew EdWorts Bavarian Hefe, and it calls for an ounce of Hallertau (3 - 4% AAU). So off I go in search of the ingredients.

On the site in question I find the red German wheat, great deal. I find the Pils, great deal. AND I find the Hallertau for $1.99 an ounce!! Is it a sign from the universe that I am SUPPOSED to brew this beer??? I think so. So I buy 4 ounces just to have some in reserve.

I really feel like I've just gotten a deal. I mean I'm already looking up other things I can use this fabulous HOARD of Hallertau I've gotten. Then, today, my package arrives.

There, in my midst, are 4 ounces of Hallertau with an AAU of 1.5%.

Something seems amiss, I say to myself. So I'm off to the online retailer for answers. That's where I encounter the * attached to the "alpha acids" section of the hop information. Shame on me for not noticing.

According to the *: "The shortage of hops will require us to buy hops from a variety of sources. This fact combined with the adverse weather conditions in hop growing regions means that the alpha acid percentage will vary so much that we can no longer post exact alpha acid percentages on our website. If you need to know the alpha acid of a particular hop, email us." (Consider this a paraphrase)

All this to say that I feel duped. Probably it was my own stupidity for not noticing the asterisks. Probably my own stupidity for feeling like I was getting a good deal.

All I know is that after some calculation I'm glad I went ahead and got 4 ounces of the hop because that's what I would need to get my IBU's where they need to be.

The online retailer KNEW they were selling 1.5% Hallertau. Why didn't they just say so? Maybe I'm blowing it a little out of proportion, maybe I'm not. All I know is that my tiny, insignificant, menial brew budget will be going elsewhere from now on. Even if that means I have to shop somewhere else.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, I'm an idiot for going back even when my better instincts told me not to.

I have respect for those who run the store as they have been nothing but helpful to me when I had previous issues with their business, but now I'm done. This is the third issue out of four orders. I know it's not a big loss to them, soda money really, but I just had to get this off my chest. As you can tell by the length of my post I am one who vents.

Feel free to flame me if you feel I am unjustified. I'm sure there's a nuance of business somewhere that I am overlooking.

All respect -

Deacon

I never buy ingredients from AHS... just too many $$$, so I never noticed thier hop disclosure. I see now, there are no AAs listed for any hop. Seeing as though all other online stores DO list thier AA, it stinks that you got an almost useless hop for the same price that Morebeer is selling all thier hops ($2 an ounce)

EDIT: There are a few stores selling what they call Hallertau Select, a 1.5AA Hallertau. They advertise them as such, and differentiate them from thier other Hallertau varieties. Midwest for instance has them for $1.25 an ounce... sounds like this is what you recieved from AHS.

Morebeer has excellent pricing... I mean excellent, and free shipping if you put together a couple brews in one order. Midwest is right up there too with very reasonably priced ingredients, I shop both, but Morebeer almost exclusively and I have always had great service.

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

I just placed a $70 with Morebeer for an upcoming brew, and I've been wanting to give Freshops a try. I feel like I need to score some kind of vacuum sealer before going with Freshops just so I can keep everything nice and hoppy.

I can appreciate a disclaimer. Any retailer has all the right in the world to disclaim anything they wish. Personally it's not worth it to me to take the extra step to email the retailer to get a vital piece of information. Some people will, and that's great. I do not happen to be one of them.

Well, look at it this way... if you are shopping at Morebeer or Freshops, it is like you are ALWAYS buying things on sale, when they aren't, really. MB is my fav, planning three brews in Dec that will cost me less than $70 for everything... that is impressive.

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Most of the hops I've gotten form NB have been on the low side, even lower than they list for AA sometimes.

I've went to B3 to make orders many times but so often their out of one thing I want so I make my order elsewhere. AHS is the only major online seller I've not ordered from but this is no reason not too. Maybe I will next time.

It would be nice to find a place with good shipping prices that can get stuff here in less than a week. MW's fedex shipping is a real plus, but B3 is the closer and has more shipping options. Their USPS option is great for small things.

I just bought some hallertau ay my LHBS and instead of 4% they were almost 7%. I guess I got a good deal except I still had to buy 2 packages and throw some away instead using 2 whole packages at 4%

Linc

I just bought some hallertau ay my LHBS and instead of 4% they were almost 7%. I guess I got a good deal except I still had to buy 2 packages and throw some away instead using 2 whole packages at 4%

Linc

THROW THEM AWAY? WHY!!

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

With rapid inventory turnover and mulitple sources I can see why some retailers can't always have the exact AA% listed for each of their available hops. That's why I always order more than I need by 1-2oz (You can never have too many hops) and if I'm really worried about a precise recipe I'll call and ask what the current stock's AA% is.

I purchase everything but hops from AHS. I think I got my last batch of hallertau from morebeer, and didnt notice it was 1.5% until about 5 minutes before my first addition. Glad I bought a pound!

I've been purchasing almost everything from AHS. Being so close to me their flat rate shipping gets to me quick and is good for heavy items like bottles.

But, I did just place my first morebeer order so I'll see how they are at handling it. I've also used Midwest and they've been really great as well. Though for me their prices come out about the same as AHS with their shipping option.

I never buy ingredients from AHS... just too many $$$, so I never noticed thier hop disclosure. I see now, there are no AAs listed for any hop. Seeing as though all other online stores DO list thier AA, it stinks that you got an almost useless hop for the same price that Morebeer is selling all thier hops ($2 an ounce)
Link to $2 hops?
MoreBeer | Pellet Hops

I feel like I need to score some kind of vacuum sealer before going with Freshops just so I can keep everything nice and hoppy.
Ziploc vacuum system works for me

Edit: After some research it looks like http://www.midwestsupplies.com/ has the best prices. Anyone?

The prices on Morebeer are for 2 ounces of hops instead of just one...so it averages out to somewhere around $2 for some varieties.

I'll have to check into that Ziploc vacuum system. Can you get that at WallyWorld?

Oh snap your right about the 2 oz :eek:

here is a pic; I never heard of this WallyWorld :confused: They have it at the grocery store though.

300.JPG

Oh snap your right about the 2 oz :eek:

here is a pic; I never heard of this WallyWorld :confused: They have it at the grocery store though.

I've actually wondered how well those things work. Do they leak at all over time or hold the seal pretty well?

I have heard that the handi-vac systems have issues. Best way to store hops is to put them inside another bag first, then put that bag inside the handivac bag, that will keep the hop particles out of the sealing area (for the most part) and you have a chance at it holding a vacuum

Pol, I have been shopping at AHS for about a year, i agree on the $$$ issue. I will have to check out MoreBeer, because I am broke and cannot scratch this itch we call brewing... +1 on fresh hops, I ordered about 10 ounces for around $20.00, pretty cool...

Freshops for hops, bar none, there is no real argument not to. I will tell you, I am not rich, I am not poor, but I am smart.

Morebeer has the best prices on ingredients bar none... also, if you put together a couple brews, you will also get free shipping on top of those great prices. Morebeers hop selection is limited, but Freshops has the same prices and a huge selection and great service.

Morebeer also has some very tasty AG kits... I have brewed a lot of them, and never had anything but stellar results. I cant say enough good things about B3, great service, great prices, great free shipping and great kits.

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Latest posts

Back