Kittie litter brewing WTF beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, Im a good cook... And half the time I just toss stuff in and see what it tastes like, sometimes it sucks, it usually doesn't! Its kinda hard with beer since it takes sooo long to make it. but I wanna try it anways

Here is what I was thinking for a Monday afternoon brew!

I have a can of muntons export pilsner extract. I have lots of brown sugar, what would it taste like it I took the extract and 4LBS of brown sugar and mixed em, and then used a coopers stout brewing yeast? would this be horrid? what would it taste like? what should I add to it? hops?

Let me know what you think... good or bad!

claphamsa said:
just kinda curious as to what I will get...

beer!

seriously though, its better to understand what you are concocting, rather than throwing stuff together.

I think that's way too much sugar, and since it's brown sugar that's also a lot of molasses.

Pilsner extract and an ale yeast would basically get you a pale ale of some kind, you could add like a pound of corn sugar and have a light-bodied Ale or cream ale type of thing. Add some floral or spicy hops and enjoy.

But I personally wouldn't use brown sugar unless I was making a dark beer and even then not nearly that much. I used one cup of brown sugar in a porter I made and I felt like it's character came through.

I'd suggest staying away from the brown sugar altogether, You'll end up with a very dry treacly brew.

Just stick with the can of pilsener extract. You'll appreciate it in April when DC warms up and your light refreshing pilsener (or light blond) is ready.

A lesson I learned the hard way- is that too much "Table sugar" will give you an off taste. By off- I mean one that is not desired- but not the result of some bigger mistake other than poor ingredient selection. I now use such things sparingly and late in the boil, and have loved the results.

Ok, so here is what I am doing....

Pilser Can! @ LBS Extra light DME... 1 Cup of Brown sugar (I know what it tastes like without it, so I can find out what it tastes like with...) and.5 OZ (or so) of Fuggles pellets at the beginning and another at 30 min :)

Back