First Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CemeteryCellarsBC

Reaction score
I've been an extract brewer for about 2 years now and am taking a class this winter from a local nano-brewery on all grain brewing. I thought I'd get a head start on what I'm going to need equipment wise and space requirements. What are my entry costs? Can I do it in my basement? I live in the northeast so I won't be able to brew outside all year round. Also I'd love any website or books that are available on the subject. Basically any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Pick up "How to Brew," by John Palmer.

As for equipment, you're going to need a mash tun (basically a rectangular camping cooler with the spigot replaced by a metal ball valve, and maybe a metal "bazooka" filtering screen. A Do-It-Yourself project for around $50). You'll need a boil kettle (at least 10 gallons), again preferably with a ball valve drain. Probably an outdoor propane burner (I started out with a turkey frying set from WalMart for $60).

Pretty much everything else, you should already have from extract brewing. Sanitizer, fermenters, hydrometer, etc.

I have "How to Brew" so that's a good start. I also have a cylinder igloo cooler and have seen video and parts lists for the conversion. I guess all I need is a larger boil kettle with a ball valve and the propane burner. Thanks!

Just a warning. You should not use the propane burner in an enclosed area like your basement. These burners are intended for outdoor use. You would need a vent hood and air circulation to use it indoors. You would need some kind of professional help to set it up to operate safely indoors.

I live in NH. You can indeed brew outside all year long :p Just make sure to test a lot of your previous batch as you make your new one :)

Your minimal equipment needed to do all grain is a pot large enough to hold the preboil volume plus enough so it doesn't boil over (30 qt turkey fryer works but just barely) and a paint strainer bag. That's it assuming you can get your grains premilled. Look for a sticky on one of these sections on BIAB. You'll also need something to heat but not a propane burner in the basement for two reasons. The first is that propane is heavier than air and any leakage will fill your basement with a highly flammable gas that has a wider range of combustible mixture than gasoline. The second is that the product of combustion will be water, CO2, and possibly CO. CO2 is heavier than air and will pool in the basement too and displace air. You can't smell it and the first indication that it is there is difficulty breathing, followed by you passing out and falling into the highest concentration of CO2 where you will stay until you die or get rescued. An appliance that burns propane would be acceptible but not recommended for the same reasons. If you need to brew in the basement, use and electric stove and if the burner output isn't enough, add a "heat stick".

Great advice everyone, thanks! Last night I converted my 5 gallon igloo cooler into a mash tun which I know is small but I can always upgrade (besides if I want to brew with a higher OG I'll make my batches smaller). I've also been looking at a pretty good deal on a 32 quart pot...big enough? I should have everything else and I look forward to my first all grain brew. I might also try the BIAB too, thanks!

Back