Sankey coupler attachment = CRAZY Foam... HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucasszy

Reaction score
So im corbonating 15 gallons of Rye IPA in a Sanke (D series) keg.

Figured out how to remove the spear, reinstall the spear. everything works fine.

NOW here is my problem.... When I add carbonation to the keg (30 PSI) to fast carb the beer, and I remove the coupler, reattaching the coupler becomes a nightmare. The moment I try and twist the coupler to lock it in place, beer shoots out between the spear and coupler, spraying me, the ceiling, and wasting a ton of beer.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the coupler have an adjustment that I dont know about? Something about raising or lowering the internal "pin" so its not installing depressing the ball valve in the spear?

its so frustrating that I am about to give up on using the sakey kegs for bulk carbonation!

Thanks All!

From what I recall about sankey kegs, you always get a little spray when you first put on the coupler. I'm guessing it's just greatly amplified in your case because the keg has 30psi in it to push that spray out further and much faster, plus the added pressure means it's harder to get the coupler seated quickly.

I just tapped a sankey this weekend and there was indeed the tiniest bit of spray as I spun the coupler down. Sorry for asking a potentially dumb question, but obviously you're waiting to put the lever down until the coupler's completely seated, right?

Yeah, I got a beer shower this afternoon, from like 4 month old over-oxygenated bad beer. Accidentally pushed down on the coupler before I started twisting it. If you just rest it in place, then start twisting, it should seat itself with a bare minimum of leakage.

Back