I'll be brewing a Pinstripe Red Ale clone today!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantH

Reaction score
A Pinestripe Red Ale clone!

I plan on brewing this shortly, everything is ready to go and/or getting there.

My recipe is:

9 lbs. Pale US 2row
12 oz Car-Pils
8 oz Caramel Crystal 80
4 oz White Wheat Malt
2 oz Caramel Crystal 120

1.5oz Mt. Hood (FWR)
1.5oz Mt. Hood (60 min)
.5 tsp Irish Moss (10 min)
1oz Cascade (Flame Out)
1oz Saaz (Flame Out)

My schedule/plan looks like:

Mash in with 15.29 qts @ 162.1 degrees for 60 minutes.
Batch Sparge with 2.2 gallons @ 168
Batch Sparge with 2.2 gallons @ 168

Anyone see anything that should change?

How long should the sparge steps sit before draining? I'm thinking I add sparge water, stir it all up, let sit 10 minutes to settle the grain bed and begin my normal vorlauf/draining process. Just do this twice; once for each 2.2 gallons?

Southern English brown ale on the docket for me.

Maris Otter, a touch of chocolate and some Crystal 80. EKG and Fuggles hops with some harvested Wyeast 1968 from my esb.

Things aren't looking so hot for me (no pun intended). I mashed in at 152 and by the time it was all over I was hitting right at 145.3. I don't know how or why things dropped so drastically but they did. Nothing I can do now. I'm draining to the kettle as we speak and heating sparge water as well. Hope I get something decent out of my third AG batch. Thus far, they have alll been duds, due to my lack of knowledge.

You should be fine Grant. 30 minutes is usually plenty for conversion, but the extra 30 is for assurances sake as a homebrewer. I am waiting for a boil as we speak. I may have overshot my OG, but that is not a problem for me. :tank:

I hit mine perfect, or a touch over. I'm waiting on my sample to chill a bit in the fridge before I say for good.

I had a casualty though. My brand new CDN digital thermometer was dropped in the kettle at cooling time. I've learned that I now need a probe thermometer will a wire that allows me not to worry with fumbling a 15 dollar tool every time I boil.

My OG at ~90 was 1.042, so I may actually see a touch higher than the called for 1.046. Yeast is pitched and i'm stupid happy right now. Next...a stout.

was wandering where you got this recipe and did it taste like a pinstripe from SKA?

Back