Tasting during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germ79

Reaction score
Ok, first-timer question here.

My lovely wife got me a Coopers DIY kit for Christmas and I began the lager that came with the kit Monday. It's looking great so far and my understanding is that I shouldn't be testing the SG again until day 6, but when I do, am I able to taste it? I wasn't sure when it was safe to try.

In a separate note, am I correct that if I begin testing the SG daily on day 6, once it is the same 2 days in a row, it's time to bottle?

Thanks so much for your help!

J

The beer is safe to taste at any point in fermentation; I actually recommend for beginners to take more samples than they really should, so you both learn how the fermentation goes (speed of gravity change) as well as the taste. You can learn what a beer is going to taste like in its future by tasting it early on, like chili before it has cooked down for hours.

So yes, it is safe to taste, but early on it might not taste like much, but rough and sweet.

Technically once you get the same reading 2 days in a row (I would suggest testing, skipping a day, then testing again, as a small change might not be noticeable in 24 hours), but it is suggested to give the beer 2 weeks MINIMUM in the fermenter, recommended 3 weeks. Even if fermentation is done, this lets the brew condition and clean up; flavors meld together, and the proteins and yeast drop out to give you a clearer beer.

Summary:
Taste it, learn it.
Give it a couple weeks to ferment and condition.
Bottle, give it a few weeks to carbonate and condition.
Brew again!

Oh, and welcome to the hobby and the forums! Ask any questions you have, and glad to see that you have the one tool that answers 90% of beginner questions (and 50% of intermediate questions); the hydrometer.

Whenever you draw off a sample to check gravity (Do NOT place the hydrometer in your wort, draw off a sample with a wine thief or turkey baster) - you're "supposed" to taste the sample after checking the numbers...

never return the sample to the fermenter.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll shoot to leave it in there for 2-3 weeks.

Tasting the samples sounds like a good idea! If I do that, do I have to make sure the beer is clear of debris? I've noticed the tap now has "gunk" in it, so do I have to clear that out first (draw a sample and dump it before taking a sample to measure and taste)?

Thanks!

Just remember to keep everything sanitary. If you overcheck and don't keep to sanitation procedures, you may introduce bacteria into your brew.

I got the Mr beer kit for christmas and asked for the midwest 5 gallon. So I am a bit skeptical. This is my first time, but love good beer and wont drink a domestic crap beer. Kind of a beer snob and never looked into home brew until a few months ago.
So I started my first batch of standard octoberfest and added a cup of honey for abv boost. I just poured a shot after one week of fermenting and i literally coughed it was so bad. It was extremely yeasty and foggy. I like my beers foggy, but that was undrinkable. Is that just because it needs another week in the mr beer keg, and it is normal for it to be that yeasty and disgusting after a week. It has been in a closet around 69 degrees. Also used brita water instead of spring water. Thoughts....

Tasting the samples sounds like a good idea! If I do that, do I have to make sure the beer is clear of debris? I've noticed the tap now has "gunk" in it, so do I have to clear that out first (draw a sample and dump it before taking a sample to measure and taste)?

Thanks!

I've eaten hop pellets. I've eaten grains. I've taken a taste of malt extract. I've chugged the yeast that end up at the bottom of the bottle. And I've certainly drank plenty of water. Therefore, I have consumed every single thing that goes into a batch of beer, and am no worse for wear. None of the "gunk" is going to hurt you. :D

Thanks!

Don't touch the tap. Don't use a measuring cup either. Get a wine thief or use a turkey baster that has been sanitized. Stick it in from the top of the bucket.

badbrew said:
Don't touch the tap. Don't use a measuring cup either. Get a wine thief or use a turkey baster that has been sanitized. Stick it in from the top of the bucket.

Sanitized measuring cup would be fine. Particularly a glass one, which would be easier to sanitize than plastic.

I actually draw mine from the spigot, pulling out the airlock to avoid suction. I run until the bit of yeast and other trub stop comig out, and then draw out what is needed for the sample. I can't see how this could lead to contamination as there is only flow out.

I have done this for all of my brews and never had any issues.

I actually draw mine from the spigot, pulling out the airlock to avoid suction. I run until the bit of yeast and other trub stop comig out, and then draw out what is needed for the sample. I can't see how this could lead to contamination as there is only flow out.

I have done this for all of my brews and never had any issues.

Yup tap are great for taking sample, one way out and nothing get in! And its state law you drink the sample. Cheers and welcome to HBT:D

Back