Santa Baby Holiday Ale...thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
I put this recipe together and am in the process of brewing now. Someone on hopville (where I put this together and pasted from) suggested carafa to me instead of roasted barley, which was formerly in there. I accidentally grabbed Crystal 80L instead of Crystal 40L...oops. I didn't realize how potent smelling the Carafa was. Am I doomed to just an over malty failure here? I originally only had 1oz Hallertau for 60 min and .5oz Cascade for 10 min, but I'm toying with another .5 oz as listed below to balance out the malty...feedback please!

10 lb American Two-row Pale
1 lb Crystal 80L
1 lb Wheat Malt
1 lb Honey Malt
.5 lb Dehusked Carafa I

Boil size: 7.5 gallons
Batch size: 5.0 gallons Original Gravity
(1.072 estimated)
Final Gravity
(1.017 to 1.021)
Color
24° SRM / 47° EBC
(Brown to Dark Brown)
Mash Efficiency
(75% used for O.G. estimate)
hops

boil 60 mins 1.0 Hallertau info pellet 3.1
boil 20 mins 0.5 Cascade info pellet 5.5
boil 10 mins 0.5 Cascade info pellet 5.5

Boil: 3.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes
Bitterness
11.7 IBU / 3 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast info

Alcohol
7.1% ABV / 5% ABW
boil 0 min 2 tsp Allspice
boil 0 min 1 tsp Nutmeg
boil 15 min 1 tsp Irish Moss
boil 0 min 2 tsp Cinnamon, Powdered
secondary 10 days 1 tsp Cinnamon, Powdered
secondary 10 days 1 tsp Allspice

That's a lot on the spice amounts. I just brewed a porter with 1 tsp of each and they are pretty prominent tasting. I'd cut mine in half next time. Your recipe has much more than mine did. You probably don't need the extra added in the 2nd. I'd definitely taste it before adding more.

Good call, I'll do that. Thanks!
The estimated efficiency on this was 1.068-1.072 I came in low at 1.060.
Hopville is saying I only got 61% efficiency based on the 1.072. Using the low end of the spectrum, 1.068, what was my efficiency?
I know my sparge was off, and it's because I only heated my sparge water to 193, which only brought my grain bed up to 164-168, depending on where the thermometer was. This is only my fifth all grain batch, so I'm still learning the all the tricks.

Back