kegerator build...done! Pics inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
So, my parents had an old chest freezer that they didn't use anymore, and I thought it would make a perfect kegerator. It's almost 15 years old, possibly even older than that. Made my Roper.

I was going to take pictures during the build, but once things get going...I kinda forgot. I got excited and it wound up getting finished over the course of 2 weekends.

Collar and rest of the wood is cherry from a tree that used to be on our property. Perlicks, 3-way reg from kegconnection and the assorted goodies.

Paint was Rustolium all purpose paint (not the appliance paint)

Pics:

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01319.jpg

DSC01318.jpg

Sweeet!

Did you prime the keezer before you put the coat of black on? Excellent craftsmanship on the cherry.

Sweeet!

Did you prime the keezer before you put the coat of black on? Excellent craftsmanship on the cherry.

No, just sanded and cleaned. The lid was rusted (hence why the chalkboard top is a wood frame, rather than painted directly on the lid), so that was painted first. Didn't rub off/scratch/chip easily so I figured I'd take the risk and not worry about priming.

I wanted darker, but there was one piece of cherry without a single knot in it and a great grain pattern. It just begged me to use it. So I did.

Love it!
Way to nice to be hiding in the basement.

I wanted it in the dining room (our dining room is huuuuge) but SWMBO said no. Oh well that just gives me an excuse for:

014.jpg

+/- 260 sq/ft room above the garage pre-run HVAC. It was going to be a spare bedroom/office, but since the wife didn't let me put the keezer in the dining room, it now is going to become a man-lounge, complete with leather sofa, poker table, keezer, dual LCD TV's and wood floor. A prequel to the basement "man-cave," whenever I get the money to finish that. :D

Here's it's current state:

042.jpg

039.jpg

That is probably the best looking kegerator I've seen (granted, I haven't looked at whole lot).

I wanted it in the dining room (our dining room is huuuuge) but SWMBO said no

In fact, I e-mailed a pic to my own SWMBO to get her reaction to something like that going in our living room (we have a really small place). I figured she couldn't argue too much :)

Nice! Is it still a Man Cave if it's in the attic. :cross:

How hard is it going to be to get the kegerator in there?

Man-lounge. It's above ground so I guess I can't label it a "cave."

Actually it should be pretty easy to get it up. It fit down the basement stairs, which were about 3" narrower than the stairs going to the 2nd floor. With the collar, roller wheels and base, the kegerator comes to about 44" high overall. Coincidentally, the knee walls in that room are 46". So it will fit perfectly against the wall without bumping against the sloped side walls. :rockin:

BTW who needs a basement? I would keep the mancave there and build a brewery in the basement ;)

Tempting. I was thinking of a small brewery down there. But I did want a large bar area so once I do the basement I will probably move it back down....or build another kegerator. ;)

That is probably the best looking kegerator I've seen (granted, I haven't looked at whole lot).

In fact, I e-mailed a pic to my own SWMBO to get her reaction to something like that going in our living room (we have a really small place). I figured she couldn't argue too much :)

Thanks! :mug:

Yeah, our dining room is about 30sq/ft larger than our living room. Really the dining room, for some reason, is larger than any other room on our 1st floor. With just a table in there, we had more than plenty of room for a kegerator in the corner. But.....even after wheeling it in there to show how small it was in relation to the the room size, I couldn't win.

Oh well, I get the last laugh since I dumped a couple grand into the bonus room just to have it not in the basement. :cross::cross:

One of the nicest conversions on here, good job. I swear that wood looks like maple. My man cave is above the garage as well.:mug:

Back