Starter & washed dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Hartley

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've washed yeast from a batch of Brewhouse red ale. It was a 14g Coopers dry yeast, I know the dry yeast is cheap but decided to try it anyways.
They say not to use a starter with dry yeast, so is it neccesary to use a starter with this Coopers yeast I've washed?

i would suggest it because its a bit different when you wash it. Essentially your going to want to start it and make sure the starter doesnt smell weird and that your viability is good.

yes you need to build a starter. That advice is for commercial dry yeast that has plenty of the goodness built in. You now have a liquid yeast that was derived from a dry strain. It's the same strain, but it does not carry the factory reserves that it once had.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So because this yeast was already used once & washed it just doesn't have the amount of yeasties to do a proper ferment without the starter?

I disagree...if you are storing washed dry yeast in a solution (like in a jar) it is no longer dry yeast, but is now liquid yeast....So I would use a starter.

Both biermuncher and I harvest US 05....I don't know what he does with it, but I treat it like a liquid yeast culture and do a starter.

Thanks for the replies guys.

So because this yeast was already used once & washed it just doesn't have the amount of yeasties to do a proper ferment without the starter?

No, it's as Revvy said- that it's not longer a dry yeast. Dry yeast is specially prepared to be ready to go, and it's much more tolerant of temperature variations, and also usually pitched as an 11 gram package. Now that the dry yeast is liquid yeast, it should be treated as such.

No, it's as Revvy said- that it's not longer a dry yeast. Dry yeast is specially prepared to be ready to go, and it's much more tolerant of temperature variations, and also usually pitched as an 11 gram package. Now that the dry yeast is liquid yeast, it should be treated as such.

It's also no longer "virginal" like it was in the package, it's no longer necessarily a "pure" strain, and it also stressed out, so that high cell count may no longer be all viable. So using a starter will guarantee you have enough happy cells...

Now having said that, without a microscope this is only conjecture on my part. Since dry has a higher cell count to begin with there could already be more than enough in your mason jar to begin with...But imho, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back