Honey in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Anyone here fond of putting honey in there beers? For some reason I am hooked on this. Of the probably 8 beers in my portfolio 4 of the include honey. I'm not to sure what my obsession with this is, but I just like the character it adds to my beer.

I've only done it a few times, its so fermentable I don't get much taste left behind so given the cost I just use corn sugar when I need the attenuation to lighten the body and honey malt when I want the honey character.

I've only done it a few times, its so fermentable I don't get much taste left behind so given the cost I just use corn sugar when I need the attenuation to lighten the body and honey malt when I want the honey character.

I don't know what I like so much about. Maybe more what it does to the body.I really don't get honey flavors from it and I do agree with the honey malt.

I made a beer with super cheap honey (I think it was wildflower or clover) and added it at flameout. I get a pronounced honey flavor there. It's a wheat beer (it's in my Recipe dropdown <-- ).

It's the only time I've ever used honey. I'm always surprised when brewers say they can't taste it (I don't doubt it, but my experience was much different).

I made a beer with super cheap honey (I think it was wildflower or clover) and added it at flameout. I get a pronounced honey flavor there. It's a wheat beer (it's in my Recipe dropdown <-- ).

It's the only time I've ever used honey. I'm always surprised when brewers say they can't taste it (I don't doubt it, but my experience was much different).

I notice more of a nutty-ish type of character from it when it's sugars are fermented out. If that makes sense. I can taste the difference even if I boil it from 60 minutes. I mean I don't expect my beer to have mead characteristics or anything, but in my IPA it gives it a nice twist. I also added to lbs to my Saison I have in the fermenter.

Guilty. There's a good farm with a store nearby. $5 a pound is pretty cheap for honey. I've done a grand cru honey red and I love to prime with it

If you get good stuff with pollen and other non fermentable stuff (I.e. farm fresh) its noticeable

Hmmm, you all are making me want to revisit this...I want to brew a saison in the near future, perhaps I will use some cheap bulk Costco honey instead of my normal sugar.

Bensiff said:
Hmmm, you all are making me want to revisit this...I want to brew a saison in the near future, perhaps I will use some cheap bulk Costco honey instead of my normal sugar.

If you have a local farm in the area, it should be just as cheap to get quality honey as regular from the supermarket. It's worth looking into. And since honey never goes bad, you can get a bunch and keep it for later.

I'm always surprised when brewers say they can't taste it (I don't doubt it, but my experience was much different).

Probably because they add it at some point during the boil. I wait to add it until I transition from tap water in my wort chiller to ice water, around 150F. Gently stir it in at that point, complete the wort cooling, and then a much more vigorous stirring (aerates too!) once my wort gets to 70ish.

You'll definitely get the character then.

I notice that it tends to ferment a bit slowly, So I seldom use it. However, I have had this idea for a recipe in my head for a long time and keep waiting for the chance to try it out...

Honey Light Lager, with something like a pound of honey, a pound of rice solids, and maybe 4 pounds of mashed 2 row... Or, more likely, the second runnings of a larger "All 2-row" recipe. An ounce of noble German hops spread throughout the boil. I just have to let the temps cool a bit so I can Lager better.

I think that getting a third of the fermentables from honey and rice ought to make a VERY light beer... And the honey should make it interesting enough for the more adventurous homebrew drinker that I won't be accused of trying to clone Bud Light.

Guilty. There's a good farm with a store nearby. $5 a pound is pretty cheap for honey. I've done a grand cru honey red and I love to prime with it

If you get good stuff with pollen and other non fermentable stuff (I.e. farm fresh) its noticeable

Much agreed most of my stuff comes from within 50 miles of my house.

Back