Soaking cocoa nibs for raspberry wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I just finished bottling my raspberry wine and I had about a 1/2 gal left over with no corks or bottles, but I had a growler so I reserved it for something to play with. I saw several recipes for port style wines with chocolate and various berries, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.
So far this is what I've done.

I added about a cup of sugar, 2oz cocoa nibs and a cup of water to a pan and brought to a simmer, let it cool a bit and added a 12oz package of frozen raspberries and brought back to a simmer. Let it cool and tasted it the next day. The chocolate was very subtle and I thought once I added it to the very flavorful 1/2 gal of raspberry wine, it would lose all notes of chocolate, so I added another 2 oz of cocoa nibs and then poured about 1/2 a bottle of brandy on top of the fruit-nib mixture. I planned on reserving the other 1/2 bottle to put on the wine with the liquid from fruit-nib mix. My thinking was that the alcohol will extract alot of the chocolate flavor, but I wonder if I over did it. So, some questions I'm asking myself:

1) Did I overdo the cocoa nibs, I won't know until I taste them after work today I guess? How long should I expect to soak them, 3-5 days?

2) Did I make a mistake by heating the raspberries (pectin related haze)?

3) I now how have a quart jar full of mashed raspberries, seeds, nibs, and brandy, what is the best way to keep the plup from going into the wine? (French press with paper coffee filter?)

4) By heating the nibs should I be worried about any oils creating additional sediment in the wine.

Well, an update, tasted the fruit/nib/brandy mixture and it tastes kind of like one of those fruit-liquor chocolate candies. I'll probably try to blend the mix with the 1/2 gal and remaining brandy, and let it age a bit.

I make a nib extract by simply placing nibs in a mason jar and pouring Everclear over them. Give it shake daily (or as often as I remembered, so I put the jar somewhere that I saw it on a daily basis). I definitely can taste the cocoa flavor when I add a few drops into a glass of wine. I did not sample until the thirty day point. I source my nibs from www.nuts.com, they usually have a sample package for sale if you do not want to invest in a larger amount.
Some people roast the nibs before covering with liquor but the roasting does tend to bring the oil to the forefront.

Brewkowski: do you have an update on your wine?

Back