Is a 10+ year old beer drinkable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomasaug

Reaction score
I found two bottles of Fullers Vintage Ale, one from 1999 and one from 2001. Still perfectly sealed still present.

Any danger in drinking a beer this old? Found it at my parents from before I moved away after college. Considering popping the top, but still a bit nervous.

you have a 50 50 chance.. might be good.. might taste like soy sauce..

There is no danger. The beer might be oxidized, it may no longer be good - but nothing pathogenic can grow in beer. Taste may be bad, but it CANNOT hurt you.

On the other hand, you might have excellent beer on your hands. Only one way to find out!

Drinking it is the only way to tell and I will give it a try. Just hope I don't lose my vision.

This gets discussed here on HBT several times per week. NOTHING harmful to human can grow in beer. This is why beer came into vogue - water tended to kill people in ancient times, but the alcohol helped make sure that didn't happen.

How many times do we have to say this. Why are people freaking afraid of this????

Beer doesn't go "bad" unless your sanitization is weak. Since nothing PATHOGENIC can exist in beer/wine/cider/mead, there should never be a reason to ever fear tasting something like this, no matter how old it is. Yeah, it may taste like crap, it may be vinegar, but NOTHING that could happen, could ever cause harm to anyone.

It's not worth passing by on something that could be amazing, because of fear.....

Noone thinks twice about drinking old wine do they?????

Beer is really no different than wine, homebrew or otherwise. Properly stored it can last and be drinkable for 100s of years.

To put it in perspective, in the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revisiting-my-classics-160672/

And I brewed an og 1.150, 150 IBU barleywine that I won't be opening for 5 years.

Not to mention the fact that there are vertical tasting for certain beers like Stone epic, where people collect each years beer and then sample a flight of them going back in time.

I just had this expericence not too long ago... We tried 48 year old beer today. One was interesting and drinkable, and one was gnarly.

Mbowenze has a thread about tasting an over 100 year old beer recently. And In my history thread there's a video of the OZ and James Drink to Britain tv series where they taste a beer older than that.....one that goes back to Napoleanic times iirc.

It all depends on how they were stored.

Try to sell one. I was reading this month's Food and Wine and there's an article on the "new" trend of cellaring beers. One line said that a 7 year old bottle of Alaskan Barleywine sold for $1500 on eBay.

I;m all for keeping some of my own laying around for a while but, if someone wants to pay my mortgage for me...

Fuller's Vintage is supposed to be cellared. If you're really that concerned send them to me I will post the results.;)

what took you so long revvy? 18,000 of your posts must be dedicated to this subject. :)

when people pull up bottles of champagne off the floor of the ocean after nearly 100 years and it sells for tens of thousands per bottle, you can rest assure it isn't harmful.

will it be good? honestly, stored correctly i don't know why it wouldn't be excellent, if not what it was originally. drink up and post results - i'd expect lower than normal carb (especially from fullers), but enjoy!

and like RJ implied - if you're skeptical, many here would be excited, not concerned.

Back