Where to buy Muffin Fans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-MG-

Reaction score
Where to buy 120mm AC Muffin Fans? I found one on amazon that is like $18 bucks, lots of other places aren't far off when you account shipping in there.

Where is everyone else getting theirs?

Radio shack has them. They come in 2 sizes. The larger one is $20 not sure on tge smaller one. They have them in Ac and DC

I have some here at work, I'll check a price and stats for you...probably can give you and HBT insider deal. ;)

I'll be curious. That thing has blades on it like its ready to cut up something!

I used one last winter on top of some heat bricks on top of my wood stove (the fan has a metal housing), to blow warm air around the room.

Let's say if you knock it over and try to catch it, while it is running, it is not a cake walk on your fingers!

But, you can feel the air at least 20ft. away!

.....still waiting on pricing.

I'm using the fan to hook up to a ebay temp controller to pull cold air from the freezer side into my fridge side of a side by side fridge to cool it to a certain temperature and need it to be AC.

I can do our cost plus a small flat rate box.....~$25 total....for one that we don't have the box for anymore.

This is a $80 fan retail, apparently! Crazy.

I remember the one I used last winter was pretty loud out in the living room, but it moved a lot air!

Just let me know

2012-02-08_14-12-11_961.jpg

... I tried taking one of the whole fan, but my phone camera is screwing up something bad, and now it won't take any pictures.

Stupid question - why the A/C requirement? You use an AC/DC adapter to convert and DC fans are much cheaper - even the Comair Rotron's which I have 2 of and probably paid less than 25 new for both for DC versions.

My thoughts too. Using a cheap DC fan with a *free* 9-12V wall wort (if you have boxes like I do! Actually, I also have many 12VDC fans as well...)

It won't take much fan to do what you want to do. The DC fans are so cheap that you won't feel bad if you have to replace one later.

It's because the fan is turned on by the temperature controller which is AC powered and doesnt and is wired right in.

I've got three muffin fans sitting at home. all 110 volts AC. I think theyre .15 amps. got them cheap from my uncle. Pm me if interested.

It's because the fan is turned on by the temperature controller which is AC powered and doesnt and is wired right in.

A 12VDC fan and adapter would also be turned on the same as the AC fan...

Not that there is anything wrong with using AC, it's just that the parts for a DC system would be much less and just about as easy to use.

If you don't want to solder, you can find a AC / DC adapter to go from 120V to a 4 pin computer power cable for about 4 bucks on ebay.

search for: power adapter hard drive external

flips

First, the controller needs to be supplied with 110V AC power, but the relays in the back of the controller are just on/off switches, and can be used to switch any current. Second, a cheap (free) wall wart converter can power a DC fan with AC power. The easiest and cheapest method to accomplish what you're trying to do is using a small DC fan and a wall wart (like several people have suggested).

The fan mthompson is offering is a great fan, and a screaming deal, but at .2 A it's seriously overkill for your application, and small DC fan is a much better choice IMO.

Back