Honey beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudd

Reaction score
Lets say I wanted to make a honey beer for one of my friends, (ok, I might drink a couple) Would you put the honey in the secondary, the wort or can you substitute honey for priming sugar?

According to "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing," unfiltered honey should be boiled with the wort to pasteurize it, and he also recommends this practice for filtered honey.

He (Papazian's JOH) also advises that one use honey in amounts less than 30% in order to maintain "real beer" character.

You can do all three, just boil the honey first. In small quantities, using it as primer might be the best approach.

If you're looking for something really odd, search on braggot or branch. This is ale that has honey added after the first ferment until the yeast can't handle the ABV. I've never run across any, but I'm certain it would be a real heavy.

Add it to primary in a small dose after it's been heated through to sterilise. Just remember honey flavours can be very overpowering - a little goes a long way.

Depending on the amount of honey used, make sure you leave enough time for fermentation to complete. I brewed an ale recipe which really turned out to be a braggot of sorts (it called for equal parts honey and dme boiled to make the wort) which turned out to be a disaster. I didn't let it ferment long enough, it was overly sweet, the unbalanced and a few of the bottles exploded.

Back