fermentation dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tizzomes

Reaction score
Relatively new to homebrewing I've done three Brewers Best kits and since the last batche I've upgraded to all glass.When racking to secondary what would be a general amount of time until bottling...10 days?

All glass? All grain?

There's no way to say how long you should keep something in secondary because it ultimately depends on what your goals are for using the secondary in the first place. It's kind of like saying, "How much salt should I add to soup?"

Are you trying to free up a fermentor? Are you trying to bulk age a very large beer for months and months? Are you worried (probably unnecessarily) about autolysis? Are you adding fruit? Are you dry hopping?

By all glass I mean glass carboy's instead of the plastic fermenter my kit came with.Its an Irish Red extract recipe from Joy of Hombrewing book.There is no dry hopping or fruit additions just thought it would help to remove the beer of the waste from the primary fermenter.Like I said kind of a newbie and a little unaware of the tricks to the trade thanks.

The general consensus around these parts is that most beers don't really need a secondary.

That issue aside, total time between pitching your yeast and bottling shouldn't come in the form of a rule because beers take significantly different amounts of time to be ready. Early on, this can be tough to judge without experience, so most people recommend a total of 3-4 weeks on small beers for new brewers (with multiple gravity readings to ensure that sugar levels are steady). Once you have a bit more experience, it's easy to futz around with that time frame.

Fermentor type doesn't make a difference for ageing and conditioning, besides that with a clear glass carboy you want to make sure you have it protected from the light at all times with a towel or dark t-shirt over it.

I agree with MalFet, go with 3-4 weeks before bottling and forget about transferring to a conditioning tank (aka secondary 'fermentor' - mostly a misnomer because no fermentation should happen in the secondary unless you add fruit). Get comfortable with the process first and then you'll start to understand your timing better.

PS: you posted this in the wrong section.

Back