honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
I just made a gallon of apple with honey
the apple juice alone had a potential of 6%
I added the whole container of honey then decided to see how much was in the container
it was 1Kg of liquid honey... ooopps!
I think it is a bit much I now have a potential 12%
so my question is does honey ferment slower than the apple or when the apple starts to ferment will the yeast start working on the honey as well.

Do you have a bigger carboy? Adding 1kg (2lbs) of honey to 1 gallon of juice is a lot. You could always add more juice.

Yeast won't necessarily discriminate between the sugars in honey and juice. They are all very simple sugars. With an OG that high, make sure you pitch a lot of healthy yeast, use yeast nutrient and oxygenate well.

all my carboys are in use right now
i guess I'll let it run it's course now it should have a good kick to it when its done
how do you oxygenate it? just by shaking it up

You just made a gallon of cyser. Good stuff, but you might want to add some yeast nutrient/energizer for a healthy ferment. It will take a bit of aging, but after a year or so, you may be surprised at how tasty it is. Regards, GF.

What'll happen if you make a simple Cider, Just juice and say a little light brown sugar and then you ad energizer and nutrient? Does it Finish faster?

I have a 6 gallon batch going right now where I used a pound of honey per gallon. I used US-05 and the ABV should be 10%. It has been about a month and a half since I pitched it and it is still bubbling away. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet, but I plan on doing that when it is bubbling once every minute or so, right now it is still bubbling around every 15 sec. Its is fermenting out slow because the temp for objects on my basement floor is around 58 degrees f.

Back