Adding liquid yeast to room temp wort...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a mistake brewing Mr Beer kit yesterday that involved using a smack pack. I smacked the yeast pack and it said that it could take 3 hours to activate so after 3 hours I mixed the wort and hops but the pack had not yet swelled to the recommended thickness of at least 1 inch. 5 hours later it was good to go but the wort was now hovering aroung 68 F and I added it anyway. Is 67-68 F too cold for adding the liquid yeast?

Mick

Nope! It'll be just fine. Within the next 24-36 hours you should see plenty of activity.

I've found that my smack packs take at least 3 hours to fully inflate in a 75 degree room. I've pitched packs that haven't fully inflated with success, but I've found that fermentation is quicker if I allow the full 3 hours.

Depending on your yeast, 68 might be getting too hot. Which yeast is it?

hey mick, 68 is the absolute highest i would ever pitch yeast into... since fermentation tends to heat things up past what you pitched at, i like to pitch low (around 60) and let it warm itself up. but there's plenty of ways to get 'er done...

Good call android. I usually cool to low 60's and let it warm up a bit. He was asking it it was too cold, and for sure its not too cold. If anything its on the warm side, but I wouldn't freak.

Back