Help need to be ready by the 21st

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudog

Reaction score
So I made a APA and I think its ready to drink. Its going in a keg and I need it ready by fathers day. The only problem is that its not clear. How an I clear it up and keg it by then.

Thanks

Whats the final gravity? If its low enough for what you were expecting then your good to go.
How long gave you had it sitting?
if its been sitting for 1 week or 2, i would keg it and if anything it will probably clear up (also depending on s gravity)...
And what yeast did you use?

-Most of the time it takes me 7-14 days primary, 1 week carb on serving preasure in keg. If you use a higher PSI(~30) on the keg and shake and purge to carbonate, it will be ready much more quickly

The fg is 1.020 and the sg was 1.080. I used the yeast you smack and it gets big in the pouch. Sorry cant remember the name yet.

you could be done but id say 1.020 is still a touch high. What was the recipe? and how long has it been sitting since brew?

You have one week - If you're sure it's finished, I'd rack it into the keg, chill it down and put it on the gas now. It should be OK in a week, the cold crash will clear it as fast as anything and it should be carbed after a week. After your first couple of pours I bet it's pretty clear.

Its been sitting in the primary starting on 6/4. I added 2 lbs of some kind of extract to make the alcohol close to 6%. The SG should have been 1.060 and the FG should be 1.015. The yeast I used was Wyeast #1056

currently your at about 8%. It might drop another point or so but i doubt it. Atleast for mine, most of my brews are long done by day 10 and just clearing. If you throw it into keg now it should be ready by 21st. Your gonna get some people hammered thats for sure

Oh and off wyeast's website for american ale yeast
Attenuation: 73-77%
yours is right around 73%

That's a pretty "big" beer to be ready to drink in just over two weeks from brewday. It might be kind of harsh, even if it's carbed up. A higher OG beer usually needs about 5-6 weeks to be very drinkable.

You can chill it as the others said. That will clear it up quite a bit.

I'd agree that 6/14 would be rushing big time. You could cold crash the fermenter to get it to clear up but that would stop all yeat activity. On a beer that big, you really want to let it sit for like 3 weeks in the primary, cold crash for 3 days, then rack to keg and put it on the gas. Even then, it could use a good 2 weeks of cold conditioning. My philosophy on rushing beers for events goes like this.. 99% of the population already has it in their head the homebrew is sub par bath water. Why would you want to confirm that for them by rushing it?

The only two beers I can imagine being drinkable in 17 days is a wheat beer and a mild.

I'll get off the soapbox and tell you how I'd do it to get it ready by the 21st because I'm guess you'll serve it no matter what. Cold crash the primary to about 34F tonight and wait until Wednesday night to carefully rack to keg. Apply 30psi, pull the dump valve to purge oxygen out for 1 second, re-apply the 30psi. Rock the keg back and forth on your lap for 3 minutes. Put the keg in the cold and leave it at 30psi overnight. Thursday morning, drop the pressure down to 13-15psi, pull the pressure release for about a second and leave the keg alone until Saturday. See how you like the carbonation.

Back