What should it taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gettin2dizzy

Reaction score
I've got a youngs cabernet kit. I've just done the stabiliser & finings doo-dah tonight, so had a taste from the trial jar (it read .997...i think)

It tasted like a weak vodka & fruit juice?! I know it's early on, I'll probs give it another week until I bottle. Is that right?

I'm also baffled why you don't add yeast to a kit. :confused:

:mug:

uhhh, first off, im going to assume you added yeast somewhere and didnt notice/realize it, since your gravity is about correct for a finished wine. Dont worry about the taste now, Its so young that right now it tastes nothing like the final product, give it a month or two and it will improve alot. give it 6-12 months and you should be golden.
I would recommend transferring to a secondary for a few months just for additional clearing and bulk aging, to avoid the possibility of sediment in your bottles.

AT this stage....It's usually vomit inducingly nasty! The fact that you taste what you do is nearly a miracle. Now...Leave it to do it's thing....I know the kit says ready in x weeks...but for good wine.....try xx months!

Back