Dry hopping with Coopers Extract kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been doing a lot of all-grain brewing lately but resort sometimes to extract kits because of time restrictions. I'm doing a Coopers Pale Ale kit with 500g LME and 500G detrox. I want to try and dry hop it to get a more Pale Ale hoppy flavour as the kit it a little weak for my liking.

I've have my brew fermenting 3 days now. Whats the procedure for dry hopping?

Thanks,
Rob

When the beer is at Final Gravity (might take 2 weeks or more for that) you open the fermenter, dump in the hops, close the fermenter and wait. Suggested times range from 3 days to more than a week. I'd suggest 5 to 7 days for this first trial for you. If you like the results you can try a shorter time on the next brew.

When the brew hits FG,give it another 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty before dry hopping. Otherwise,the hop oils coat the settling yeast cells & go to the bottom. I like to use muslin hop socks to keep the grainy hop bits contained. 7 days will give plenty of hop aroma,imo.

Dry hopping is for aroma. Flavoring hops are done in the boil. I generally use lower AA% hops for flavor & aroma. But some high AA5 hops also have some interesting flavors,so some use those for flavor & aroma too. but pre-hopped extracts should NEVER be boiled. It destroys the designed in hop profile. If you want to do flavor hop additions,use some plain (un-hopped) extract in your partial boil. Add an ounce of hops at 20 minutes,then another at 10 minutes for some extra hop flavor. Then add the pre-hopped extract (Cooper's can) at flame out. Since it's still boiling hot,dissolve the late extract additions,cover the kettle & steep a few minutes. Pasteurization happens about 162F,& the wort is still 180+ at this point,so Bob's your uncle.

Back