Anybody try westvleteren 12?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I split a 6 pack off ebay about 5 years ago with a buddy. Was definitely tasty stuff, just wish I had layed a bottle down and had one to drink now that my pallet has changed.

My buddy has two bottles and I may get to try it. He said he would share it, but you know how that goes.

My son brought some home late last month for a gift to his brother and me. Totally great business model. Create a demand based on lack of availability.. read Pliny the Younger.. :)

He had to make an appointment with the abby on a specific date between a specific time.. he was lucky to get the call in as I understand it. They give him a date for pick up.. between such and such a time. He drives from Ramstein AFB to W.Belgium.. gets in line.. hands over credit card.. picks up and drives home. You are allowed one carton of beer with two glasses per person in the car. Five hour drive each way.

I thought the beer was good.. as did my wife. The takeaway for me was the experience. Would I go thru this to get it? No. Is it over hyped? Yes, IMO. Is it good? Yes.

All I have left is the bottle and a cap.. I tossed the packaging container. Bids.... :D

I'm headed down to RRBrewery again today for a couple glasses of Younger :ban:

If I remember properly, the Westmalle Dubbel is supposed to be very similar. Obviously a Dubbel, not a Quad. I've also read that the same yeast strain is used in Westmalle as in Westvleteren.

Westmalle Dubbel is very, very good.

There is a website that has Westv 12 for sale.

I have had it before. It's good but not that great. I am moving to ramstien Germany soon so I will try to get a case or so but it's cause my friends in the states love it. I like rochefort 10 more and st Bernardus 12 is about the same thing.

Try getting a St. Bernardus Abt 12 , it's almost the same beer.

They do taste very similar. I recently had the opportunity to sample both. I would say the St Bernardus is smoother, but the Westvleteren has more depth and character.

If you reserve the beer ahead of time it's much cheaper and you get more of it, but I showed up at the store on a Saturday at lunchtime and was able to buy 4 six packs of the 12. Even if they done have any extra for sale there you can sample the beer in their restaurant.

It's actually not expensive at all, only about 3 euro a bottle, it's just difficult to find.

I was worried it wouldn't meet the hype. Thankfully it did. It's not my favorite beer ever, but it was very good.

They do taste very similar. I recently had the opportunity to sample both. I would say the St Bernardus is smoother, but the Westvleteren has more depth and character.

I agree, it seems like westy has a little more body to it. It is a really decent beer. I thought La Trapp was the best quad IMHO

I have kinda fallen out of love with quads of late. I have moved on to other beers but one day ill be back I'm sure.

Back