yikes, article has some misinformation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizgig

Reaction score
This came in my inbox today, not sure how I got on the women's health mailing list.

http://eatthis.womenshealthmag.com/slideshow/your-essential-guide-beer

For ales, brewers use a bottom-fermenting strain of yeast, and they let it do its work under relatively warm conditions. Lagers, the lighter of the two, rely on top-fermenting yeast and colder temperatures.

They go on to call Labbat Blue an American lager and spell it wrong, etc.

Canadian and American lagers taste different enough to me to warrant a sub-category, even the version sold in America is different from the version sold in Canada.

There's always mistakes in these types of articles about homebrewing. The editors pick a topic and assign it to someone who does some quick research then writes the article. Remember that their audience is not homebrewers. Not to excuse the errors, but that's reality.

Canadian and American lagers taste different enough to me to warrant a sub-category, even the version sold in America is different from the version sold in Canada.

You may feel that way. But they are the same style.

What bothers me about the article are

Under Pilsner

This is the beer that influences the brewing recipes of American lagers

A minute amoutn of research would tell you that such a blanket statement is not true. If you were to say that beers such as Coors Light and Miller Light are based off of the Pilsner style then you'd have a point. But they list for example Yuengling, and anyone who's had a yuengling knows they aren't based off of Pilsners

Then just having Wheat beer like it's a style of it's own. Like a Belgian Witbier is equal to a German Hefeweizen or Weizenbock or Berliner Weiss. I know this article isn't geared towards beer nuts, but I think having Blue Moon on the same list as a Hefeweizen isn't fair. You may not like the belgian style but may love the german's. I think sticking to more belgian would have been better fo rthem.

Saying that the Bitter predated the Pale Ale is kind of a lie. Afterall Brewers at Burton on Trent brewed a Pale Ale of their own, and most English Brewers called the beer Pale Ale but their customers called them bitters (because of the hoppy bitterness obviously)

I mean rather than continue I'll try to talk about the positives. If this gets a few people to drink some new craft beers, then it did it's job. It's short, pretty descriptive and maybe it gets some people to try somethign new. Can't go wrong with that!

There's always mistakes in these types of articles about homebrewing.

There's always these type of mistakes in articles about anything. As I'm sure that anyone here who has gained any sort of expertise in any field (professional or hobby) knows, when you read an article in a general-interest publication about your field, it is absolutely packed with misinterpretations, misinformation, and just general wrongness.

And being someone who considers myself to have in-depth knowledge in only three things really (my profession of environmental engineering, and two hobbies of brewing and baseball), and who likes to consider myself conversant in many other things through general-interest reading, this occasionally makes me realize that maybe I don't know anything!!

Back