How Many Brewers have been cut/injured by broken carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepWoodBrew

Reaction score
Hey brewers..Deep Wood Brew Products is conducting a survey.. Please reply as a simple ME...or tell us about your incident. We would like to use this information on our website..to help others understand the numbers and severity of injuries out there.
Thank you for your participation…
Deep Wood Brew Products

There is actually a thread about this going on right now...been active for a couple weeks......

AND Lusterking has a great collection of horror stories here.

Glad you guys are doing what you're doing. I was third place in the Cap N Cork Iron Brewer Comp, and sadly third place DID NOT include any of your great donated prizes. :( But it was great to see them, and you donated them. :mug:

There is actually a thread about this going on right now...been active for a couple weeks......

AND Lusterking has a great collection of horror stories here.

Glad you guys are doing what you're doing. I was third place in the Cap N Cork Iron Brewer Comp, and sadly third place DID NOT include any of your great donated prizes. :( But it was great to see them, and you donated them. :mug:

Hey, I am sorry to hear you did not get one of our products. However, I am glad to hear you placed third in the competition..That’s Awesome...

I did see that earlier post..we feel bad for those who have gotten injured..MAN...when that glass brakes..watch out!!!

We are looking more for a tally of how many...and just wanted to let everyone know we are putting together some statics, to further educate other brewers.

I've been using glass carboys for wine and beer for 11 years with no incidents. I am considering packing them away, however due to the risk involved.

We would like to use this information on our website..to help others understand the numbers and severity of injuries out there.

Err... More like you want to convince people to purchase your stainless steel carboys. Might as well tell the truth up front.

I like your stainless steel carboys but they are pricey.

FWIW, you could just add a poll to this post so people can easily answer - yes or no: Have you been injured by a glass carboy?

I have never had an accident or been injured by a glass carboy and use them exclusively, however, I'm not saying it can't happen. I'm very cautious, using handles and a rubber mat on the counter for no slip.

Hey brewers..Deep Wood Brew Products is conducting a survey.. Please reply as a simple ME...or tell us about your incident. We would like to use this information on our website..to help others understand the numbers and severity of injuries out there.
Thank you for your participation…
Deep Wood Brew Products

I have not been injured, but I did have one shatter while full of starsan about 6 months ago. Large pieces of sharp, thick glass. It was not fun. This happened while tipping the carboy back and forth on a vinyl floor trying to mix sanitizer. I'm not buying new glass carboys anymore, but I will use the ones I already have.

Not had one break on me, so no injuries here. I was using them for my batches of mead for a while, before moving over to stainless vessels. Now, I only use stainless for everything I'm fermenting or aging. Only glass I go near is for drinking from, or the bottles I fill from tap (or use for mead batches). :D

I have not had an injury and I use 6 glass carboys, but I am fairly new. I have several safety measures in place to avoid injury (I use a small roller cart to move them between locations, a carboy hauler to move them from the cart, and a handle that I use when empty and cleaning). If money were no issue, I'd convert to your stainless carboys as I think they are fantastic...but out of my budget.

I gave up on them in favor of buckets. I'll never buy another standard design carboy again if I can help it. Glass carboys are a ***** to work with and clean, and breakage is always a risk.

That being said, I like the design of the beer caverns you're offering. The wider opening on top would make them easier to clean and sanitize

I didn't get injured when mine shattered but I lost a carboy of brett hefeweizen that had been conditioning for a year and was about to go in the keg. It smelled so delicious(for a minute) flowing across the garage floor. It was just by luck that my son and I were standing a few feet away when it shattered, it broke in some huge jagged pieces when a beer glass fell off a shelf and landed on it.

I dropped one and shattered it in a swamp cooler, but avoided injury. I will continue to use the ones that I have, but I won't replace glass.

BTW, I've sold off all the glass carboys I had (3 or 5 gallon). I still have a pair of 1 gallon jugs, but they're sitting in a closet. No idea if/when I'll ever use those again. :fro: :D

Happiness is 5 stainless beer fermenters in 7.75 gallon capacity, one in 50L capacity, two 25L aging vessels, 7-8 5.16 gallon mead fermenters and one 3.875 gallon mead aging vessels. :rockin: Think I have enough?? :D

Received a broken one in the mail about 4 months ago. Still finding tiny pieces of glass on the floor and occasionally in my feet. Will not by any more glass.

Back