Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine brewed today. 40's and breezy this morning. didn't break 50 today. I think I hit all my numbers OK. Mash temps were kinda hard to take under the circumstances. But all my Gravities and Volumes were dead on. It smelled SOOO good in the mash!

Brewed the second iteration of this yesterday as part of a dual-batch brewday (my first, and hopefully last! Very tiring.). It seems I can never hit all the ingredients as published for a batch, and had to sub some stuff. I didn't want to buy a bag of MO so I used U.S. 2-row. Ran out of black barley and made up the difference with ~.1 lbs chocolate malt (the medium-dark brown stuff). There were a few other oddities but I can't remember right now. Anyway, I was a little concerned about harshness taking off my first runnings. The tun smelled bitter, coffee-esqe and plain unpleasant. Second were better, and end-boil tasted sweet and delicious. I'll try to update, and thanks again for the recipe base! Kyle

I have been looking at this a couple times now, looks like it would be nice for a Chrismas/New Years. Might brew this week.

Got 2nd place with this brew that I aged in a whiskey barrel in cat 22c in the skirmish of the triad last sat...if I ever get home from restoring power after sandy Yooper will get a few bottles!

Making this recipe for the first time. I am kegging a British Mild before mashing. I will have a nice WLP002 British Ale cake ready to go for this brew.

Should I stick with the WYeast or throw it on the WLP002. It seems mouth feel is a pick plus to this beer and don't want to lose it if I use WLP002 yeast cake. I can always save it for an ESB on next brew.

Break down in cost at my LHBS

1335 6.00
Hops 3.00
DME 12.40
Grains 7.20
Total 28.60

Brewing tomorrow, wish I would have had the yeast to cut the cost down, but next time I will.

Brew day went good, with alittle help. My Brix came back at about 11.75? Alittle hot but think it will have the body to cover it up.

Now for the wait.

What would happen if you subbed in chocolate for the pale chocolate? I screwed up my order at the LHBS, and all of the non-base grains are mixed up together, so at this point I'm kinda screwed if it'll really affect the beer. Yooper, any thoughts? What would the final product taste like?

What would happen if you subbed in chocolate for the pale chocolate? I screwed up my order at the LHBS, and all of the non-base grains are mixed up together, so at this point I'm kinda screwed if it'll really affect the beer. Yooper, any thoughts? What would the final product taste like?

I've used chocolate when I didn't have enough pale chocolate. It's ok, just a little harsher and roastier in the finish. It's not as good as the pale chocolate, which is a more mellow roastiness.

OK my brix went from 11.75 to alittle under 6 in the frist week. If it hits 5 brix is it done? I see that you have in your notes 21 @ 64 I think.

OK my brix went from 11.75 to alittle under 6 in the frist week. If it hits 5 brix is it done? I see that you have in your notes 21 @ 64 I think.

After fermentation, I use a hydrometer to check SG. I don't look at the brix on my hydrometer, so I'm not sure what that would be. Alcohol skews the refractometer readings, so I only use it pre-fermentation.

If I was going to do a partial mash of this as suggested earlier in the thread, what grains could I steep separately to make room for more base grain in the mash in my brewpot?

Hi Yoop, This recipe turned out great the last time I brewed it (I had used S-04) I'm thinking i'd like to brew it again and was wondering if you had any input as to using wyeast 1318? I'm making an Amber with 1318 now and would like to reuse the yeast if it's not a bad idea? I looked at the wyeast site and it looks like 1318 is a yeast listed for sweet & or oatmeal stouts. Do you have any experience with this? Thanks

Hi Yoop, This recipe turned out great the last time I brewed it (I had used S-04) I'm thinking i'd like to brew it again and was wondering if you had any input as to using wyeast 1318? I'm making an Amber with 1318 now and would like to reuse the yeast if it's not a bad idea? I looked at the wyeast site and it looks like 1318 is a yeast listed for sweet & or oatmeal stouts. Do you have any experience with this? Thanks

I haven't used that strain. I'm drinking a batch with Denny's Favorite now, and I love that one.

It sounds like it would work well, but I really haven't had any experience with that strain.

I started Yooper's recipie (no changes) back in August. It turned out amazing! I used my CoolBrew cooler and 1/2 gallons jugs of frozen water to keep the temps in range. This will be on my repeat brew list. Thanks for the recipe Yooper!

Well, my second batch of this has been kegged for ten days, and is exactly 20 days out from brewday. Out of the fermenter it was very chocolatey, with a slight banana aftertaste. Once kegged these flavors subsided and it's roasty, sweet, and full. Very good! The head is a fantastic, long-lasting deep tan with an almost creamy look to it. Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be updating on 2013's batch. Kyle

The label I made for this recipe that I aged in a whisky barrel...hope to get them mailed this weekend Yooper! It's a generic label and the first I've made but didn't want to send them without some sort of label...

ForumRunner_20121127_063715.jpg

I finally poured a glass of the partial mash of this I did back in October last night. WOW!! Smooth, coffee overtones with the chocolate coming through on the back end. The head is creamy tan but not holding up as long as I had hoped. That could be because I didn't hit any of the target SG's, but I'm not complaining one bit. SWMBO loves it as well. Should be a hit at our house holiday party on Saturday. This is one great beer and I am believe I'll be doing it again very soon, because after Saturday there may not be anything left!! Thanks Yooper for the help converting this to a partial mash!! :mug:

I finally poured a glass of the partial mash of this I did back in October last night. WOW!! Smooth, coffee overtones with the chocolate coming through on the back end. The head is creamy tan but not holding up as long as I had hoped. That could be because I didn't hit any of the target SG's, but I'm not complaining one bit. SWMBO loves it as well. Should be a hit at our house holiday party on Saturday. This is one great beer and I am believe I'll be doing it again very soon, because after Saturday there may not be anything left!! Thanks Yooper for the help converting this to a partial mash!! :mug:

I'm so glad that she loves it as well, and that it came out so good for you. That's great to hear!

Can't wait to try it- thanks for the photos of the labels and for thinking of me! I appreciate it.

Brewing this, along with a Celebration Ale, this weekend.

Yooper, how long from grain to glass is appropriate? I keg my beers so I of course want to be able to drink it at Xmas, but am realistic about the fact that may not be possible. Luckily I have a mint choc stout and a breakfast stout standing by for kegging.

Brewing this, along with a Celebration Ale, this weekend.

Yooper, how long from grain to glass is appropriate? I keg my beers so I of course want to be able to drink it at Xmas, but am realistic about the fact that may not be possible. Luckily I have a mint choc stout and a breakfast stout standing by for kegging.

It's about 6 weeks, more or less, to really be good. It takes a bit of time for the flavors to meld well.

Hey Yooper, getting ready to brew this on Saturday, but unfortunately I need a new probe for my pH meter.

How's your pH with > 200 ppm bicarb? Do you add acid? I was averaging a few different models and thought an alkalinity around 50 would be perfect.

Man I hate brewing blind.... especially dark beers!

Thanks!

I've got California ale and London ale yeast which do you guys think would be better?

I used London ESB (WY1968). Turned out great. Can't give you a comparison to Yooper's original as I haven't brewed it yet...

I don't think you could go wrong with either though. With a stout this rich subtle yeast flavours are not going to be too apparent.

Hey Yooper, getting ready to brew this on Saturday, but unfortunately I need a new probe for my pH meter.

How's your pH with > 200 ppm bicarb? Do you add acid? I was averaging a few different models and thought an alkalinity around 50 would be perfect.

Man I hate brewing blind.... especially dark beers!

Thanks!

No, I've been using my tap water for this stout. My last one (drinking it right now, actually) was 100% tap water (Ca 57, Mg 26, Na 9, S04 45, Cl 14, CaC03 251, HCO3 228) with 3 grams of CaCl2 in the mash. I used 100% RO water for the sparge. Mash pH was 5.52, with a 1.5 quart/pound ratio in the mash.

I got a question about pH as well. I usually just use 1tsp of pH 5.2 Stabilizer in my mash water. Do I need to use the same 1.75ish qt/lb ratio you speak of, or should I be set at my usual 1.33qt/lb?

I got a question about pH as well. I usually just use 1tsp of pH 5.2 Stabilizer in my mash water. Do I need to use the same 1.75ish qt/lb ratio you speak of, or should I be set at my usual 1.33qt/lb?

I'd probably ditch the 5.2 buffer, and use 1.5 quarts/pound, unless you have a pH meter and/or know the exact make up of your water.

I just saw this, so sorry I didn't answer sooner.

I never considered cocoa nibs- but I despise chocolate beyond belief. I hate the stuff, so I wouldn't make a chocolate anything (not even a cake). I have no experience at all with cocoa in beer. I'm sure many people do make chocolate stouts, though, with good results.

I am right there with ya Yooper that crap is nasty but for some reason in beer it seems to work great....

Okay so the real reason I posted was I think I screwed up. I only mashed for a hour and then aged 2.5 gallons on Oak Soaked Bourbon for a few days after about 3 weeks. Tossed in the keg tonight and while yes I just tossed in the keg it was thin, very very thin. Drinkable but still wasn't what I was after. My numbers were a bit off 1.050 and 1.009 so any hope in making this heavier or just lesson learned on mash time and brew it up again soon?

I'd probably ditch the 5.2 buffer, and use 1.5 quarts/pound, unless you have a pH meter and/or know the exact make up of your water.

I fetched my water report. We've got some of the cleanest water in the country here.

Ca - 4.4
Mg - 1.87
Na - 5.2
S04 - 3.8
Cl - 3.6
CaC03 - 35
HCO3 - ????? (both hardness and alkalinity CaCO3 were 35--not sure if this is related)
pH - 7.2

Any recommendations? I always use tap water for my brews.

No, I've been using my tap water for this stout. My last one (drinking it right now, actually) was 100% tap water (Ca 57, Mg 26, Na 9, S04 45, Cl 14, CaC03 251, HCO3 228) with 3 grams of CaCl2 in the mash. I used 100% RO water for the sparge. Mash pH was 5.52, with a 1.5 quart/pound ratio in the mash.

Wow, I'm actually a little surprised by that. I always have pickling lime ready, but I've only had to use it a couple times on ridiculous imperials. I wonder how much of that alkalinity actually makes it from your HLT into the mash tun once it's been heated. (Possibly twice... do you fill your HTL from your hot water faucet?) I assume you got your water report from the cold faucet? Based on TDS readings alone, mine are noticeably different.

I'll just target 100 ppm total alkalinity (in the mash) and hope for low 4.4's. I'll save a small sample of the grain bill and water and see how I did when the new probe arrives!

Can't wait, thanks for the recipe!

I just grabbed the grains/hops on my lunch break to brew this.. I will be pitching onto a yeast cake of wyeast 1318. The LHBS didn't have the pale chocolate so i got 1/2 lb of the 450 srm. Hope it still turns out

Hey Yooper, I'm still a little bit confused by the "black barley" ingredient. My homebrew store only carries "roasted barley" and "black malt" from Hugh Baird & Sons, described on their website as roasted barley malt at 700°L, which sounds to me like black patent malt. The Briess website says the their "black barley" is a deep brown colored malt, but it is not interchangeable with black malt. Would I be better off substituting roasted barley for the "black barley," or should I just use the Hugh Baird & Sons "black malt?"

Hey Yooper, I'm still a little bit confused by the "black barley" ingredient. My homebrew store only carries "roasted barley" and "black malt" from Hugh Baird & Sons, described on their website as roasted barley malt at 700°L, which sounds to me like black patent malt. The Briess website says the their "black barley" is a deep brown colored malt, but it is not interchangeable with black malt. Would I be better off substituting roasted barley for the "black barley," or should I just use the Hugh Baird & Sons "black malt?"

I don't know! I use the Briess black barley. It's not the same as black patent (like the Crisp black malt is) and it's not the same as roasted barley, either. Black malt might be the closest, but not the same.

I think the black barley is just a darker version of roasted barley. These are not malted. Black malt (I think is the same as black patent) is malted and gives a different flavor than roasted barley and black barley.

I think the black barley is just a darker version of roasted barley. These are not malted. Black malt (I think is the same as black patent) is malted and gives a different flavor than roasted barley and black barley.

The Breiss description of their "black barley": Black Barley is a deep brown colored malt with a coffee flavor, that is dry and intensely bitter.

Back