• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

My dfh 120 for your pliny the younger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeprock2

Reaction score
I'm on the east coast and I get my hands on alot of different brews but can't find pliny the younger or any other Russian river beers anywhere. I'm willing to swap a bottle of dog fish head 120 ($10 for 12 oz bottle) for a bottle your pliny the younger.

crosamich said:
Pliny the YOUNGER is draft only. Available only in February each year throughout Cali and some in Philly

What he said. You want PTY wear some comfortable shoes because it's a 5+ hour wait in line.

They dont bottle the younger so your gonna be looking for a while. And it doesn't come out until March, come to Co. we can 14 kegs in the state if I remember correctly...much less then 5 hour wait here, lol.

Ooooo didn't know that it was only draft. Well I guess I can hold out to next year because luckily I'm 10 min from Philly !

Ooooo didn't know that it was only draft. Well I guess I can hold out to next year because luckily I'm 10 min from Philly !
Philly is the only place that gets any west of colorado. We usually get around 15 kegs. I know a nice little spot that always has it.

As far as I know PTY is only served on tap at the brewery once a year, with a FEW kegs going to other locations. Nobodies getting 15 kegs of it I can assure you.

I'm from the bay area and it only gets served at the brewery. Toranado San Francisco and City Beer San Francisco that I know of and comes out in February. I did not have to wait in line for it but goes by fast and poured in 10oz glasses

What makes you think that?
They've done it for at least the past 5 years. I can name you at least 7-8 places in philly that get it, and im sure the others are in the outlying suburbs. 15 kegs come to philly every year, don't know what to tell you.

I'm from the bay area and it only gets served at the brewery. Toranado San Francisco and City Beer San Francisco that I know of and comes out in February. I did not have to wait in line for it but goes by fast and poured in 10oz glasses
Well, i hate to tell you, but you're wrong. I've had pliny at 4 different places in philly, younger and elder. Elder is usually always somewhere on tap here.

Hell, here is a picture of it, from a couple years back

24687_1178527117910_7857922_n.jpg

24687_1178527197912_7183977_n.jpg

It's a more recent thing that they have limited the release to the brewery and a few choice local places. I posted a link from their website earlier. It says it all.

There are clones around.. Brew that beast!! I think you'd be disapointed in a six or eight month old monster IPA anyway. I had a 6 month old pliny that was kept the right way, and it was **** compaired to my clone that had just carbed in the bottle. The whole brewclub thought the same.

Hefanatic said:
It's a more recent thing that they have limited the release to the brewery and a few choice local places. I posted a link from their website earlier. It says it all.

Yes, it is recent. It has turned into a beermania event just like Dark Lord or Kate the Great. I think they used to bottle it at one point too, but no longer. +1 to BYO

Here is from the link you posted.
VERY limited distribution locally and to distributors on draft only
It says nothing about only being at the brewery. This past year it came to philly so i don't know how much more recent you can get.

Yes, it is recent. It has turned into a beermania event just like Dark Lord or Kate the Great. I think they used to bottle it at one point too, but no longer. +1 to BYO
It hasn't turned into that, it's always been that. They never used to bottle it, it's always been a draft event. They used to do growler fills, but people were muling, and selling them on ebay, so they put a stop to it. Monks here in philly gets a ton of their releases, which is also a cluster****. They're actually getting FFAC here this time as well.

The way that reads for me is that it is distributed locally only. All kegs have to go through a distributor either way, and if they are keeping it local than obviously it wouldn't leave the state. I guess we will know for certain in February. I am making a trip to RR in November, so I will see if I can get the skinny.

The way that reads for me is that it is distributed locally only. All kegs have to go through a distributor either way, and if they are keeping it local than obviously it wouldn't leave the state. I guess we will know for certain in February. I am making a trip to RR in November, so I will see if I can get the skinny.
It is still leaving the state to select locations, i can confirm this for you. Not sure who told you otherwise but that is the case. Not sure why you're so resistant to other places getting it. Honestly i like the fact i can get double jack year round here better anyway

xjncoguyx said:
It is still leaving the state to select locations, i can confirm this for you. Not sure who told you otherwise but that is the case. Not sure why you're so resistant to other places getting it. Honestly i like the fact i can get double jack year round here better anyway

No doubt, there really isn't a "skinny" to get next month. Several people have given you Proof that it gets to Philly.

Considering the recent changes to how they distribute it I definitely think its worth a 10 second conversation. If they actually send 15 kegs to Philly I think that's great. Considering the issues they have had it would be surprising to see them get that many or any at all next year.

Considering the recent changes to how they distribute it I definitely think its worth a 10 second conversation. If they actually send 15 kegs to Philly I think that's great. Considering the issues they have had it would be surprising to see them get that many or any at all next year.
No, you're just wrong, lol.
The issues they had were a couple years ago, people coming in and muling growlers and selling them. I had someone send me a growler of it, he actually got i believe 13 total. They ran out early, so they said they were no longer doing growler fills. Multiple places in cali got it as well last year. They haven't changed anything. They also had an issue here where state police came around to confiscate pliny kegs because it wasn't registered with the state of PA. Guess what, it still came here the year after.

Here is a link to all the places that had it, jesus christ

http://philly.thedrinknation.com/articles/read/6917-Where-to-Find-Pliny-the-Younger-in-Philadelphia-2012-Edition-

Each March, California’s Russian River Brewing stirs up quite a storm in Philadelphia. Their limited release Pliny the Younger is one of the most highly-rated beers of all time, and it is only available in limited quantites in our area. In fact, in past years, Philly has been the only East Coast city to receive shipments.

The bars that do manage to obtain a Pliny the Younger sixtel are usually mobbed with beer geeks angling to get a sip of the 10.5% ABV triple IPA (Russian River’s double IPA is called Pliny the Elder, after the ancient Roman naturalist, so they named their triple after his nephew). When these sixtels are tapped, they can be drained in less than an hour, so if you plan to get your taste, it’s important to know where and when this will happen. UPDATE: Events that have already passed are now at the bottom of the post.

Tuesday, March 20

2 PM: Bierstube; $9 at the door, all proceeds benefit the Asian Arts Initiative (h/t MealTicket)
5 PM: Eulogy Bar
Saturday, March 24

3:30 PM: Via Marconi's, 1758 Allentown Rd., Lansdale; $8 tickets on sale now, available only in person at the bar
Sunday, March 25

8 PM: Varga Bar is holding a black-tie-only affair; the top 5 users to check in to Facebook each Sunday in March during rare beer tappings will be invited to a special VIP tasting with photographers and a red carpet out at 7 PM, tasting at 7:45 PM (h/t Eater Philly)
Tuesday, April 3

6 PM: Memphis Taproom; this beer dinner runs $90 per person and includes six courses paired with Russian River favorites (including PtY); email them to snag your seat (h/t Philly Beer Scene)
Other bars that reportedly have taken delivery of Pliny the Younger shipments this year:

Good Dog
Local 44
Pub on Passyunk East (P.O.P.E.)
Hulmeville Inn ("middle of March" – h/t @hhkal17)
Isaac Newton's
We’re keeping a running list, and let us know if you hear anything new!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bars that have already kicked their kegs (some with little to no advance notice):

Grey Lodge (h/t @prpourhouse)
Teresa's Next Door (Wayne)
TJ's (Paoli) (h/t @brewlounge)
Pinocchio's (131 E. Baltimore Ave., Media, PA) (h/t @hhkal17)
Capone's (224 W. Germantown Ave., Norristown, PA)
Sunday, March 4

5 PM: Khyber Pass Pub; 45 tickets go on sale for $15 per person (limit 2) for a tulip to be tapped at 11 AM on Wednesday, March 7; all proceeds will go to the Philadelphia Public Library
Monday, March 5

11:30 AM: tapping at Monk’s Cafe; $10 per 6-oz. pour; all proceeds will go to Alex's Lemonade Stand
4 PM: Tria Wash West; $8.50 tickets for the 10-oz. pours sold out this morning after being offered exclusively to email subscribers
6 PM: $8 tickets on sale at the bar at City Tap House (limit one per person), good for a single 8-oz pour; tapping at 7 PM (h/t Foobooz)
Tuesday, March 6

11:30 AM: The first 50 people who emailed Resurrection Ale House will be let in for a glass; open at noon to the masses
2 PM: South Philadelphia Tap Room
Wednesday, March 7

4:20 PM: Bishop’s Collar; also on tap will be Bell's Hopslam and Troegs Nugget Nectar (h/t Philly Tap Finder)
11 AM: Khyber Pass Pub; only available to ticket-holders (see Sunday, March 4, above)
Friday, March 9

3 PM: Sidecar Bar (h/t Eater Philly)
Tuesday, March 13

6:43 PM: Belgian Cafe (announced via Twitter)
10:30 PM Jose Pistolas; first come, first served (h/t Foobooz)
Sunday, March 18

Noon: Side Bar & Restaurant, 10 E. Gay St., West Chester; rare craft kegs & eggs brunch
2 PM: Jamison Pour House, 2160 Old York Rd., Jamison; all proceeds go to the St. Baldrick's Foundation (h/t @hhkal17)
Monday, March 19

11:30 AM: Local 44; the event is a preview to the grand opening of their Bottle Shop, located right next door

Latest posts

Back