Pittsburgh hop garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pghhopgrower

Reaction score
I have about 25 nugget bines and 4 golden bines to harvest here shortly. Does anyone know where I can get them pelletized or how I can do it myself? They are 3rd year plants.

Also, does anyone have a source for citra rhizomes? I plan on extending my yard to 200-300 plants next year

Man, I'd hate to have to harvest all those hops. I have (4) 3rd year plants and (2) 2nd year and it's more than I like to keep up with. Why pelletize? You planning to sell them or just looking to save on space in the freezer?

There's a small pellet mill just outside McKees Rocks that does hops for a reasonable price and I can get you some Citra 1 year old plants but you'll have to wait until next Spring. Oh, never mind, I thought it was April 1!

Honest, good luck with both of your requests. You'll probably have to rig up your own pellet mill or else take your hops up to the Finger Lakes where there's a small one up and running and it'll probably be 15 or more years until you may be able to obtain any Citra roots as they're protected. Hop On!

Citra are a patented plant, and as such you will never be able to purchase a rhizome (unless the owner feels like selling them).

Ahh I see I had a feeling I wouldn't e able to get ahold of them. I'm looking for kind of odd ball varieties to grow along with ones like cascade and nugget ect... I have two local micro brews that I'm talking with along with some home brewers that I'd like to help out and grow for, so except for the one that's asking to supply his fresh hop brew I'm assuming the other brewers are going to be looking for pelletized hops.

I have two local micro brews that I'm talking with along with some home brewers that I'd like to help out and grow for, so except for the one that's asking to supply his fresh hop brew I'm assuming the other brewers are going to be looking for pelletized hops.

If one of them is Full Pint, let me know. I gave McIntyre a bunch of cuttings last year that Andrew is supposed to be growing on his "farm". I tried to explain how to grow them but those guys are so busy I don't think it sunk in.

Funny you said that, I had just emailed them yesterday before I check on this thread. I'm hoping that they'll be interested or I'll be able to help them out in some way. I had talked to east end, but he's so busy which is great, it just takes a little while to hear back, and beaver brewing co. Who seems like a real nice guy. But if I could help out full pint in some way, that'd be awesome too

telejunkie said:
You could try here:
http://www.atlantichops.com/

Talked to the guy Mike there a little while back, said he this will be his first year pelletizing I believe and he is looking for growers.

I actually went to one of there seminars in new York in July. Nice guys, very informative, I guess they are doing the pelletizing in CT. I was hoping for something a little closer, but yeah those guys are a good contact to have.

Back