what is the hot break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
i am in the middle of a brew session and my friend asked why boil the wort ? and what is the hot break. i know some protiens coagulate but i dont know why or what happens to them.

You boil the wort for a couple of reasons- mostly to isomerize the hops oils for bittering the beer. The other reasons are for all-grain (not extract) beers- you boil off some of the DMS precursors, sanitize the wort, and coagulate the proteins. Those "coagulated proteins" sort of look like egg drop soup in the wort. You don't always get hot break with extract, though.

Just a quick THANKS for answering these types of questions without demanding a search be done and belittling the OP. This makes me unafraid to ask here. Im new, well second time around, but its been a LONG time. We noobs appritiate the answers to questions that have been asked a 1000 times.

Just a quick THANKS for answering these types of questions without demanding a search be done and belittling the OP. This makes me unafraid to ask here. Im new, well second time around, but its been a LONG time. We noobs appritiate the answers to questions that have been asked a 1000 times.

Well, that's what we're here for, after all! :D

This was in the beginner's forum- so it's ok to ask beginner's questions, of course! But it was actually a pretty darn good question anyway.

If it was in the "super advanced know everything forum", then I wouldn't have answered. ;)

akthor said:
The search engine isn't the greatest here either oftentimes you can't find what your looking for even if you search.
You can always use Google to search only this site. Say you wanted to search for, bubblegum, for example. Type the following into the search bar at www.google.com:
Code:
site:http://www.homebrewtalk.com bubblegum
Or, chocolate stout would be:
Code:
site:http://www.homebrewtalk.com "chocolate stout"

Back