Perlick tap on Danby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepmanmike

Reaction score
I purchased a Danby kegerator yesterday from Sams, have been reading for a couple months and was planning on building a keezer but when I saw the 339.00 price for the Danby I just decided to just buy it. The one thing I would like to ask the board is will a Perlick tap fit on the tower? I could of sworn I read that It has a different thread shank.

Nope, it will fit just fine. I have the same one and modified the tower for three taps (with Micromatic elbow shanks).

Great, thanks for the reply, 3 taps on that small tower wow, did you cool the tower, the hole thu the top seems very small, I have read about people making the hole larger to accomidate more taps a cooling tube and an area for the cool area to return, I am planning on doing that once I get some beer in her to see how it pours.

I have done it now with 4 freezers (2 because they died). My preference is a medium size chest freezer as it holds in the cold much better. Besides it gives a nice platform on which to put glasses, etc.

I just cut a 1" hole at or about the center. I run the lines to the kegs and CO2 bottle all inside. I put a tower on top of the freezer and bolted it in. I have made a 2 tap and a 4 tap kegerator.

Unless you are running those lines outside the kegrator for feet you do not need to insulate them. This is only for people who do things like put the unit in another room. In fact you can even use what is called a jockey box or a cold plate. In this you do not even cool the kegs, just the line that comes out.

The nice thing about converting freezers is that you don't care if it is frost free or not. In fact if you ever decide you want to store yeast in it you want a non frost free freezer (so it does not thaw/freeze over and over). Additionally a chest freezer seldom (does it ever) have coolant lines running across the top lid. So there is no danger of cutting though the lines by mistake.

All in all I have to say converting a chest freezer to a kegerator is about the easiest thing I have every done. Aside from drilling the hole for the tower about the only difficult thing to do is to lift kegs of beer and place it inside.

The small amount of beer in that tiny beer line really is not that big of a deal. You may get some foam on the first pour, but I don't do anything special to correct it.....except have another pint!

Back