best place to buy bulk grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmee

Reaction score
Got my christmas present today....heheh nice Crankenstien 3e mill and now am ready to stop wasting gas going to the LHBS. Where is the best place to buy bulk grain from cheap with low shipping? It is $55 for 2 row US from the LHBS, just looking for a better deal.

The best place to buy grain is the place closest's to you to save on shipping.

robmee said:
Got my christmas present today....heheh nice Crankenstien 3e mill and now am ready to stop wasting gas going to the LHBS. Where is the best place to buy bulk grain from cheap with low shipping? It is $55 for 2 row US from the LHBS, just looking for a better deal.

Listermans 2-Row Pale Ale 50 lb $50

free UPS Ground shipping on orders of $35.00 and above east of the Misissippi River - don't know how much if your not above east of the Misissippi .:eek:

http://www.listermann.com/

I like North Country Malt. Their sacks of grain are around $26-28 , and with shipping to where I live (Illinois), I pay about $43. If you can get a bunch of folks to do a grain purchase, a sack comes out to $34 to Illinois.

i went to a couple brewpubs and ask them if they would sell me some grains and after the 3 one they said yes and how much would i like , i really wanted 500 lbs plus of 2 row but i started off small with 200 lbs , ready for the price , his cost $13.50 for a 50lbs sack can u say oh ya, so dont just think you have to pay $50 a sack just do some foot work and you can buy bulk hops straight from the grower, go to hopsdirect.com and save a butt load on hops,

Cross eyed, for one you've got some nades there Dude. Secondly ,what state did you purchase the grains in. Impressed and curious.

cross eyed said:
... i started off small with 200 lbs , ready for the price , his cost $13.50 for a 50lbs sack ...
Damn, that is good!:eek: I pay ~$32.00 for a 50 lb. sack of Rahr 2-row from my LHBS/microbrewer.

Sudster said:
32$ is a good price too Rhoob!
Yeah, I'm lucky in that they are also a microbrewer and have lots of this on hand and they are only about a 30-40 min. drive.

i dont think that it takes nades just to ask someone if they are willing to sell grains or hops to help out a homebrewer,they can only say no and thats it but if they say yes then your in . iam up in the northwest . another hint find the brewpubs that the brewer is the owner, the other two places i went to the brewer was not the owner and he would if he could but he was affraid of what the BIG man would say, so any way dont take this the wrong way please, but grow some nades and ask

I like that. I ordered a sack of 2 row from my LHBS at $55 canadian but have since found it for $30 canadian from a local micro brewery. Where I'm from, that's cheap. I just paid $70 canadian for a sack of weyermann and it was shipped free.

When you buy from North Country, do you just call them? Their website only lists a per pound price, not per bag.

Download the pdf catalog the prices are in there. Your right though their on-line ordering is by the pound . Give them a call.

This is where a good brew club helps.
a friend in my club got together a bundh of guys and made an order big enoughto get listed as a brewery ( from a local distributor of brewery grains I mean they have to buy it somewhere) )and now he buys for the other club members.
I got Durst Turbo Pilsner and Pale Ale malt for about $25 or $26 each and
Briess two row for $21 these are the 50# bags, that includes a little for his trouble and gas money.
So with a little effort or leg work you can beat $50 a bag, I'd say most of the time.

i went to a couple brewpubs and ask them if they would sell me some grains and after the 3 one they said yes and how much would i like , i really wanted 500 lbs plus of 2 row but i started off small with 200 lbs , ready for the price , his cost $13.50 for a 50lbs sack can u say oh ya, so dont just think you have to pay $50 a sack just do some foot work and you can buy bulk hops straight from the grower, go to hopsdirect.com and save a butt load on hops,

Damn thats awesome. My nearest brew shop is like 40 min away. Ya! I need to buy a grain mill and start buying in bulk.

When you buy from North Country, do you just call them? Their website only lists a per pound price, not per bag.

Also, if you click on the individual grain you want (as opposed to the list of all for that malter) there's a drop-down quantity menu that includes a 55# quantity option. I haven't actually ordered from them yet, BTW, but just was doing some bulk grain research online.

North Country/Mid Country are awesome...

$27 for imported pale?
$36 for imported pils?

I can dump beer down the street at those prices.

id like to find a provider some what close by. i dont have many brewers near me so a bulk grain purchase to split with people isnt possible. last i ordered 2 row from austin homebrew for about $55. i love the north country prices, but the shipping is too much.

You can get grains from GW Kent for mid 20s but you have to buy a pallet (40 sacks) Not sure what shipping works out too but if you have a location to freight it then it will be cheaper.

Wowza. I was wondering how much cheaper grains could get if I bought in bulk. Seems like my local shop has a pretty damn good deal!!
They sell 2 row for $1.10/lb. I think I may just keep buying it there as they have an auto mill I can use and it's about three blocks from where my wife works. Not crazy prices considering that people are excited about $50/50lbs.

bulk hops may be the best way to save a couple bucks for me.

Good point Igbal624, but why pay shipping? Up in Bellingham you should be able to find them for around $30, I'm not sure where but, my brother lives in Seattle and gets it for much less than $50.

kmk1012 said:
Good point Igbal624, but why pay shipping? Up in Bellingham you should be able to find them for around $30, I'm not sure where but, my brother lives in Seattle and gets it for much less than $50.

Good point. I'm sure it's possible. I just haven't really had the need yet as I'm doing my first AG batch this weekend.

Depending on how it goes will determine how much grain I need. :)

If I could get to around 30/bag, and get hops at $1 an ounce, I'd be saving about $10/ brew.

We shall see how it goes.

Nootay, if you wouldn't mind the 2 hour drive to Woodbridge, I would have no problem getting your grain when I order from the VA/DC/Md group buys. I aslo say a group buy from the C'ville area, that may be a bit closer.

Nootay, if you wouldn't mind the 2 hour drive to Woodbridge, I would have no problem getting your grain when I order from the VA/DC/Md group buys. I aslo say a group buy from the C'ville area, that may be a bit closer.

I'm in Alexandria and am starting to look for a good deal on bulk grain. I just ordered from MidwestSupplies online last night, approx. $50/50#, but I was ordering a bunch of other stuff too so shipping wasn't really a factor.

Can you post more details about the VA/DC/MD group buys? I'm curious about pricing, location, and frequency of purchases. I would be totally willing to do a little driving to get a deal, and it would be cool to meet some other local brewers in the process.

Welcome LowNotes. Just find the bulk buy thread. Our fearless leader is a very honest and kewl guy in Tacoma Park. Not too bad a drive. I believe he just started a new purchase list. He does about 6-8 a year it seems. The prices are great and there is a catalog you can order from. All he asks is "samples" of your manifestations :)

Let me know if you need any other info (PM).

Sheldon

Back