O2 injection, quick ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zen_Brew

Reaction score
I just did my first O2 injection last weekend and it sure looks to have kicked off a quick ferment. I did my first all grain with the AHS Blue Moon clone with very minor variations.

When I put it in the primary I gave it a good shake/swirl for a minute or two. I dropped in my WLP410 starter, then hit it with 55 seconds of oxygen through a 2 micron SS stone. OG just above what I expected at 1.053 I had vigorous krausen and fermentation when I checked on it 8 hours later. It never blew off stopping just at the neck inside the 6 gallon BB.

I noticed 72 hours later the airlock was at 20-30 seconds between bubbles. I checked it twelve hours after that and it still looked pretty inactive so I took an SG reading. In 3 1/2 days it is down from 1.053 to 1.017. It already has a wonderful flavor signature to it.

I imagine it may still have a couple points in it, but I was impressed with the quick ferment. I'm guessing the O2 really helped kick this one down quick.

why did you shake it? I use the O2 so I don't have to do that being the lazyass I am . O2 gets the little buggers up and at them don't it

I shook it just to mix it all up. I had a bit of top off to add as well as I boiled more off then i thought. I put a tennis ball under the round part at the bottom of the bottle, and a moderate minute or two shake/swirl doesn't really require a ton of effort.

Back