Kicked my first keg of homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonshae

Reaction score
I'm pretty thrilled about this, now I can brew this weekend! I was out of kegs with my last brew, and I can't convince SWMBO to let me get a few more right yet, and I really didn't want to revert to bottling again, so...

But this weekend will be a brew weekend in addition to all the other crap I need to get done.

I remember when I cashed my first keg, it is a bitter sweet moment. With bottles you know when you are drinking your last one so you are kind of prepared, but not with the keg. All of a sudden you are just blowing air. However, even though you are sad that beer is gone, you are happy that you get to put a new brew in there.

But get more kegs...seriously. I have 4 and I am pretty sure I need to get more. I had to bottle my ESB last night because it had been on the yeast for a month and all of my kegs are full of vienna lager, steam beer, kolsch, altbier and my secondary is full of spicy blond.

I felt some sadness when my LWPA kegged turned to air a few days back. The one thing about beer is that unless you make a really big one that can be aged for years once it's gone you only have memories.

Kicking the first keg is the hardest. After that it just gets easier from here. I don't know how many kegs you have, but I have about 25 and it doesn't seem like enough especially because i can kick a keg in less than a week. I'm now trying to bottle more and give it away because people love my stuff and can't seem to get enough of it.:cross:

I remember when I cashed my first keg, it is a bitter sweet moment.

Yes, bitter when it blows! But sweet when you walk out to the garage and pull a freshly aged chilled full one out of the keezer to replace the empty one in about 5 minutes. :mug:

Just don't make the mistake I did... The very bottom of my chest freezer had a little condensation that froze. It was effectively gluing down all my kegs so when I gave them a quick tug to check the weight, they ALL felt quite heavy as you can imagine. They just about all kicked in the same day stranding me without beer for a summer. GREAT...

So Jay, what are you brewing?

Back