Imperial Bourbon Aged Coconut Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeRad77

Reaction score
I'm new to formulating my own recipes and I was hoping someone might be able to look over what I have and see if it looks like it is ok. I am trying to get something close to Sun of a Beak made by Midnight Sun Brewing.

I do know it is made with birch syrup, molasses, has 52 IBU's, and is 8,3% ABV. I am also wondering about some hop substitutions that would be appropriate so I can maybe use up some of the leftover ones in my freezer, and also how I might get that bourbon barrel aged flavor without a bourbon barrel. Recipe is below.

Batch Size 5 gallons
54 IBU's
Extract with steeped grains
Full volume boil

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
1 lbs 6.4 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
13.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
11.3 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
6.5 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
2.4 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Maple Syrup (35.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM)
7 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract [Boil for 60 min]
2.00 oz Cascade [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 36.5 IBUs
1.60 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min 15.6 IBUs
1 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]
5 oz Cacao Nibs in secondary fermenter
10 oz Unsweetened, toasted coconut in secondary fermenter
Yeast Wyeast 1968

I have leftover Simcoe, Centenial, Northern Brewer, Vangard and Citra Hops if any of those would work instead.

Thanks!

I'm fairly new to brewing but if I had to guess you could probably get some oak chips and soak them in bourbon, then add them to the secondary.

Anybody else have anything to add? I need to get ingredients today, so hopefully someone gets a minute to look at this.

Back