What do you think about this Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is what I want to brew tomorrow. I don't have the capability to lager yet, so I talked with my LHB guy and he gave me this recipe for an Oktoberfest. Does this look ok, or should I tweak it?

1/2 # munich malt
1/2 # cara-munich malt
6# light syrup
1 1/2 # amber syrup
2 oz hallertau hops to be used equally at 55, 15, and 5 minutes left on boil.

German lager yeast

What's everyone's opinion on this.

HarrisonHomeBrew said:
Here is what I want to brew tomorrow. I don't have the capability to lager yet, so I talked with my LHB guy and he gave me this recipe for an Oktoberfest. Does this look ok, or should I tweak it?

1/2 # munich malt
1/2 # cara-munich malt
6# light syrup
1 1/2 # amber syrup
2 oz hallertau hops to be used equally at 55, 15, and 5 minutes left on boil.

German lager yeast

What's everyone's opinion on this.

IMHO, German lager is not a good choice for yeast if you do not have positive temp. control to do lagers. Some of the guys may have other suggestions, but i believe a clean ale yeast is a better choice. ( i.e. San Francisco, Steam ale, etc).Good Luck with your brew!

Skol !! :mug:

Yeah, don't use a lager yeast unless you can temp control. Go with a Safale US 05 or something like Nottingham. It won't be a traditional Oktoberfest, but it'll still be a yummy beer!

My suggestions:
-no 5 min hop addition
-use DME
-add 8oz of aromatic malt

I think you would be better off using light DME and building up with caramel and caramunich, but I don't have a recipe.

And, I agree, if you have precise temp control use the lager yeast. If you want it sooner and don't have any temp control, use WLP001/1056/US05. If you have a way to keep it cool, use WLP810 (San Francisco Lager).

I did this one last year, when I didn't have the ability to lager:

6.6 pounds light LME
8 oz crystal 60
4 oz crystal 20
1 oz Willamette (60 minutes)
1 oz Hallertau (5 minutes)
Nottingham yeast

It was ok, but I definitely like your recipe better! If you haven't already bought the ingredients, I'd second using DME instead of LME. I'd also suggest 1 oz for bittering and then .5 oz for the next two additions. And of course, no lager yeast. I'd use either Nottingham, or US-05 for dry yeast, or 1056 or a california ale yeast for liquid.

I had one to many of my Kolsch last night when I posted my ingredients. The yeast I am going to use is German Ale (Wyeast #1007). I have tracked down a lagerator that I will be getting soon and am looking forward to all the new brews I can make.

I just made a Mocktoberfest last week. Used 3# light DME and 3.3# of light LME. DME went in the beginning of boil (only a 30 minute boil) and LME went in at flame out. Steeped 8 oz of crystal 40 and 60 i believe...and I put a pound of vienna in although thats only because I had it on hand and wanted to use it (crushed few days prior). Vienna isnt a steeping grain but it imparted some flavor aroma characteristics when I took a sample a couple of days ago. Perle for bitter and Hallertau for aroma. Used Nottingham yeast. Looks and tastes pretty good so far. Cant wait to keg and tap it the beginning of Oct!

well, you've probably already picked up ingredients and maybe even brewed this, but I'll chime in with a few thoughts.

1. If you can find it, use an extract made with pilsner malt. It will give you the continental grains type flavor that generic light LME/DME doensn't have.
2. munich malt needs to be mashed. Otherwise it will just put out starch in your brew, and maybe add a bit of flavor/color. If your going to use it, steep at 150 - 155 dF and leave it in for a good 45-60 min. This is essentially a mini-mash then (easy huh?).
3. if your already doing a grain bag mini-mash, I'd add in some vienna malt as well (maybe 1/2 #).
4. I'd change the hop sched to 60 min and 30 min (nothing else), unless you want more hop aroma/flavor than is traditional.

good luck!

If you're planning on this brew being ready to drink by October, you'd better just make it an ale. I was foolish enough to come on here in July and ask if it was too early to brew an Oktoberfest. I got laughed at. What I'd forgotten is that "Marzen" is March, which means you brew your Oktoberfest in March and lager it until October. By all means, brew what you want...but you'd better plan on drinking it in February rather than October.

Back