Yeast and Yeast Starter Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gear101

Reaction score
OK first off, before I get to the question, I have been making beer now for a little over a year, I have done the normal extract kits to all grain, single fusion. About six months ago, after about fifteen brews gone by, I started to wash my yeast, now I have enough yeast to just about go into business selling the stuff, I don’t think I will do that but I have the inventory. The question that I have is this, if the yeast that I have washed can still have some residual favors left over from the previous brew, why not just use “fresh” yeast and make a huge start, then collect some of that yeast to use in the future? My line of thought is this, first I really don’t need that much yeast, if I could double the amount of yeast in a WL tube that would be plenty for me, and second it would products a “cleaner” line of yeast for the next brew? Does that make sense and I can give get a starter big enough to really triple the cell amount from a factory tube?

I think there are quite a few people in the forums that use this procedure, seems to me like a good way to collect yeast. If you have the equipment to make starters, you can easily triple your WL tube, start with 1000 mils and step it to 1500 mils, giving it a good shake at least every hour, you should end up with about 300 billion cells, give or take a few billion. :)
If you have a stir plate the number quadruples to around 400 billion cells.

It sounds like i need to get a DIY Stir Plate project going. Yet another 20usd to spend on the brewing. LOL

You'll make that 20 dollars back in money saved on buying yeast. After the first 3 starters, you'll be putting money back in your pocket. :mug:

You'll make that 20 dollars back in money saved on buying yeast. After the first 3 starters, you'll be putting money back in your pocket. :mug:

when you put it that way. i'll start the project tomorrow, always wanted to make one out of a really cool cigar box

Back