To early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhoussock

Reaction score
My brew pal and i Got a conIcal fermenter and i read alot of things explaining that i want to use the bottom valve to drop trub and yeast out of the fermenter. About 8 days have gone by and the bubbles in the airlock slowed to a mere crawl. I decided i would make my first drop tonight and now i kind of regret it. Were brewing an "american light" and i got about a half pint of trub and yeast befor it turned clean in which case i immediatly closed the valve. However, in the glass i can still see small activity in the yeast and small bubbles coming to the top every minute or so. Im pretty sure i dropped the yeast to early is this going to effect our beer dramaticaly? Any help or advise for this batch or the next will be greatly appreciated

I'm not going to be the only one to say this, but only your hydrometer can tell you if you dumped too early. Those bubbles could be CO2 that was in solution coming out.

We didnt take a gravity reading from the start so can i still get a worth while reading? Also if it was to early is the brew shot or just gonna have less of a abv

Your reading now will tell you that the FG has or has not been reached. The beer is likely no shot; it' just that it's good to have the beer on the yeast for enough time to make the beer really great.

B

There is not shot. It just may take longer for the yeasts to reach the FG and clean things up.

Back