Before you read this recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
Just know that I have no idea what I'm doing.

My Black IPA

5.5 gallon - 7.5 start

60min boil
OG 1.071
FG lower than 1.071
final alcohol % hopefully around 8
srm - 35
ibus 77.19

Fermentables

12lb 2 row
.4lb chocolate malt
.5lb munich malt
1lb cara pils
.8lb of carafa I
1lb dextrose - to up the og

hop schedule
1.5oz cascade - mash in
1.5oz centennial - mash in
1 oz centennial - 60 mins
1oz cascade - 60 mins
.5 oz chinook - 15 mins
.5 oz target - 15 mins
1 oz cascade - 15 mins
1 oz cenntennial - 10 mins
1 oz chinook - 5 mins
1 oz cascade - flame out
1 oz centennial - flame out
1 oz cascade - dry hop for 5 days
1 oz cenntennial - dry hop for the next 5 days

I'll be batch sparging at 165 f

wyeast labs 1087 will make my alcohol.

If you took the time to read this recipe it will be apparent to you that I do not know what I am doing.

Please keep in mind i am extremely open to suggestions.

Thanks

You'll need to get your OG higher if you want 8%.

At 1.059, you'd have to get down to ~0.998 to get to 8% (which obviously won't happen with beer - getting down to 0.998, that is).

I don't make black IPA's, so I can't comment on anything else, but your OG will be too low to get the ABV you are seeking.

I would skip the 45 minute hop additions, either move them to 60 for bittering, or drop them to 15 or later for aroma/flavor.

Good luck! :mug:

If you ignore the hops, it looks like the malt bill of a dubbel.
That's a metric crap-ton of chocolate. Generally, Black IPAs are more black in color and not so much in flavor (trickery of the eyes). Mine had 0.5# of chocolate and 1# of Carafa II (debittered black malt) for color and it was plenty roasty/toasty tasting. I know people who try for no dark flavors by cold-steeping the carafa to darken.
Also, the hops are going to overwhelm any flavor you get from the candi syrup which makes it a pricey way to up the abv. I would just add table sugar if you want to bump up gravity.

Yeah the chocolate malt is going to overpower, it's going to be a hoppy Stout....which isnt a bad thing....but you'll for SURE taste big roast and dark fruit character from that much chocolate and dark crystal malts.

I think for a black IPA you'd be better suited to use carafa special II or III like a previous poster mentioned. It will give you the color you want without being a roast-bomb.

I'm currently reworking the recipe. I will post it later. I didn't take into account what my local brew shop sells.

This is what I have available locally. Please help an ignorant fellow brewer out.

Caramel 10L
Caramel 20L
Caramel 40L
Caramel 60L
Caramel 90L
Caramel 90L
Caramel 120L
PALE MALT (Brewers 2-Row)
Pale Malt (Brewers 2-Row)
PALE MALT (2-Row)
Pale Ale Malt (2-Row)
PALE ALE MALT (2-Row)
PILSEN
PILSEN
MUNICH MALT
MUNICH MALT
Pale Malt (Brewers 6-Row)
Pale Malt (Brewers 6-Row)
VIENNA
VIENNA
VICTORY
VICTORY
WHEAT
WHEAT
WHITE WHEAT
WHITE WHEAT
DINGMANS (Belgian)
AROMATIC)
BISCUIT
BELGIAN SPECIAL B
CARA 45
CARAMEL PILS (Cara 8)
CARAVIENNE (Cara 20)
PILSEN
GAMBRINUS (British Columbia, Canada)
HONEY MALT
MUNTONS (British)
MARIS OTTER
MARIS OTTER
Maris Otter
BLACK PATENT
ROSTED BARLEY (Unmalted)
CHOCOLATE
CRUSHED CRYSTAL 60L
LAGER
LAGER
CRUSHED PALE ALE
CRUSHED PALE ALE MALT
WHEAT

I would go with
14lb 2 Row
1lb Munich Malt
.5lb Crystal 80
.5lb Chocolate Malt

This would net you 8.42ABV (OG 1.086 with a FG of 1.021) with a yeast that attenuates at 75% with a 75% brew house eff rate. The color would be around the 21 SRM range which is pretty dark. Strike in at 152 and sparge out at 168ish. Hopefully this will help you out some.

Final recipe edited. Turns out lhbs carries carafa I. I called early to make sure my grains were milled ahead of time and ordered based on their website. when I get there what do I see? a pile of carafa I in 1 pound bags sitting on the table.

I have to go back tomorrow because i forgot to get more star san. It takes an epically long time to venture the bridge because of construction too.

Damn my forgetful mind!

.4 lbs chocolate and .8 lbs Carafa will likely give you WAY more dark malt flavor than you were gunning for.

1 week in the bottle (I know its not long enough but i'm impatient) and this beer is extremely drinkable. There is a slight yeasty flavor that I know will go away in 2 weeks but I am very pleased with how this turned out.

Thanks again for all the help

Back