Plate Chiller Feed Options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordHedgie

Reaction score
I got a really nice plate chiller about a year ago, and I've fallen in love with it. I really couldn't imagine brewing all-grain without it. The only problem is I haven't been able to come up with a really good system for putting the wort in it, so I'm open to advice.

When I got the chiller, I took an old Ale Pail, poured the hot wort into it, and used the Pail to gravity-drain the wort through the chiller. The spigot that came with the Ale Pail stank, so I replaced it, and it worked for the better part of a year. Now the Pail and spigot are becoming a sanitation headache with lots of scratches, so I'm looking for a better replacement. To press the issue, the spigot started leaking this last batch, so I need a replacement now...

I've been considering drilling a hole in the side of the brew kettle and installing a kettle valve on it, then draining directly from the kettle to the chiller. I've also been thinking about getting a pump, although I'm not 100% sure how that system would look. You can't pump hot wort directly; would I prime the lines and chiller with cool water, then place the pump behind the chiller? Are there any better solutions I'm not thinking of? How do you move wort through a plate chiller?

Not sure what you mean in saying you can't pump hot wort directly. I think most folks, myself included, pump hot wort through the plate chiller. Works great.

march pumps can take the heat. Kettle > Pump > Chiller--conical--pitch yeast --ferment--keg--drink--done.....

Well, that explains a lot. The pump in my LHS warns that it cannot pump hot wort. I should look into pumps from Internet sites.

The only LHBS within 100 miles ... an Ace Hardware that's decided to carry an aisle of homebrewing supplies. The selection has actually gotten very good over the last year, going from a few kits to about two dozen different whole grains, including five different grains available in 40# bags, but the equipment side is lacking. For anything you might need, they've got one of them. For pumps, it's says in big letters that it's not to be used with hot liquids...

Yea...you might want to look at the aforementioned link and do some searches. March, Little Giant and Iwaki all make pumps to handle temps and hot wort safely. I have not verified the composition of Iwaki pump heads and impellers; but they work great for a reef tank! Rebel Brewer and American Brewmaster both carry the March 809HS and are competitively priced.

I feed a duda diesel plate with gravity using a ball valve and dip tube I installed in my boil kettle. Works like a charm for me...YMMV.

Back