need help with flaked oats...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calabus

Reaction score
hello. need some advice please... i have an extract kit coming for an imperial stout as well as some flaked oats. wanna try an oatmeal imperial. i've researched and can't really find a clear answer as to how to prepare the oats for conversion. the grains with the kit are all steeping grains... .5lb each... roasted barley, black malt and chocolate with 12 lbs of dark extract, so i'm not planning on doing a partial mash. i assume from what i've read that flaked oats (from the homebrew shop- 2 lbs- about 12% of the recipe) need to be mashed with barley for conversion, but since i don't have any barley, other than the roasted, how do i go about including them in the recipe? cereal mash? help!

I have had sucess with:
- Toast the oats on a cookie sheet at 300F for about 60 minutes (turning every 15 minutes or so)
- Then steep the oats (with the other grains) in 1 gallon at 150F for about 30 minutes.
- Strain the grains and sparge with 1 gallon of 150F water.
- Bring to a boil and add extract, ect.

Good Luck

I used to mini-mash my oats...but it just turns into one gigantic gooey oatmeal slopfest. I really perfer to just go ahead and toast the oats as ways suggested ahead. Steep the oats individualls for 30-45 minutes, then switch in the steeping specialty grains for 30 minutes, and then go for the full extract boil.

You aren't getting all those good oatmeal sugars mashed, but its not a big deal in the end imo. Trying to mash oatmeal with a grain that will convert it and doing it on the stove top? ITs a f'cking mess

Latest posts

Back