Stone XI Anniversary Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the Carafa III for my ten gallon batch. It is going to be good. I special ordered it from my local home brew store instead of Northern Brewer like I thought I was going to. However, that aside, I used 14oz of Black Roasted the last time for the last 30 min of the Mash.

I messed up an order and have an unusual combination of grains already mixed together. Playing in Beersmith, trying to decide what to do with them, and get the idea for an English version of the "Black" IPA. Continental malts and hops. Probably Fuggles for flavor and aroma. Heavy on the late additions. 1.085 OG / 80 IBU

Think the "black" idea would work in and English style beer?

i cant wait to brew this, its on deck after i do DFH 60 Min and a pumkin ale this week.

ive never had stone XI so really looking forward to this!

Negative. That is for a 5 gallon batch, which is what the original recipe was. I doubled it for ten.

ok- thanks for the reply. Between this thread and the Black IPA thread I am cobbling together a recipe.

Same idea as Matt ran with. My usual IPA recipe with some roasted barley thrown into the last 20 or so minutes of the mash.

I made this recipe

5.5 gallon batch

15.25 lbs 2 row
14 oz Crystal 60L
14 oz Carafa Special

75% efficiency
SG = 1.082

2.5oz Chinook (13% alpha) - 90 min
1 oz Simcoe (13% alpha) - 0 min
1 oz Amarillo (10% alpha) - 0 min
1 oz Simcoe (13% alpha) - dry hop
1 oz Amarillo (10% alpha) - dry hop

us-05 pitched 57 fermented 63 went from 1.084 to 1.016
Drinking right now and it is very good and its only a week in the bottles, should be really good later.

i brewed pretty much this recipe.
went from 1076 to 1012 i think it was. very nice beer. unfortunately the whole hops i used ate up lots of my beer so it was well under 5 gallons bottled.
smooth taste, strong aroma and just a touch of roasted barley taste...strong too.

i used carafaIII dehusked. mashed at 154, and i calculated the hops to 98IBU i think it was.
good recipe. will brew again.

ok- thanks for the reply. Between this thread and the Black IPA thread I am cobbling together a recipe.

Same idea as Matt ran with. My usual IPA recipe with some roasted barley thrown into the last 20 or so minutes of the mash.

I steeped a pound of black patent malt for 10 min at 160 degree F. I added this to my wort and it gave it a very opaque black color without too much roasty flavor. Turned out very nice with columbus, cascade, simcoe, and amarillo hops.

So, i'm an idiot, who ordered the grain build without noticing what the OG was supposed to be. only got 9 lbs 2 row, and then went half lbs for carafa III and 60L. I think my OG will be around 1.054-1.060.

Will this effect the flavor, or just the strength?

I am brewing it now, and live in new york, where it started to pour. Always dangerous to brew on a cloudy day. fifteen minutes into the boil, and the rain starts coming down hard, but i rigged an umbrella to my MLT, hanging over the brew pot. its a pretty silly set up, but is doing the job. Added 2 oz chinook 11.1 at 60 min, but i think i might extend the boil to a 90 min cause i used a lot of sparge water. again, this is where better planning would have come in handy. so, possibly a 90 min addition of chinook. then at 20 min will add one oz of simcoe 11.9 and amarillo 8.6. Above it says to add these at 0, but i really like a hoppy flavor.

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/IMG000351.jpg

:tank:

. . . but i rigged an umbrella to my MLT, hanging over the brew pot. its a pretty silly set up, but is doing the job.
Your picture made me laugh. Looked too familiar. My picture's not today though. It was suppose to rain here in Jersey also, but the sun's been out most of the day. Brewing inside just in case. 40 minutes into a 90 minute boil.

In your case I would have scaled my recipe to 4 gallons (or what ever it took to get your planned OG) and made everything proportionally correct, just less beer.

6804d1216605942-brewing-rain-rain_brew.jpg

i'd think the beer will be pretty bitter from the 2oz of chinook if you boil for 90 minutes.

i'd add the late hop additions later than 20 minutes. maybe 5 minutes or 1 minute or flameout.

I am about to bottle up and keg up the Black IPA on Monday and will post back how it tastes in a week. It is looking to be another fantastic version of a delicious beer! I drank th eother one in like two weeks! Alone!

I think my OG was supposed to be around 1.056, and i was only getting 1.050. I am gonna try and work on this whole efficiency thing. would have loved a higher gravity. In any event, a fun brew day.

cookietruck, i am a huge fan of bitter. beers that are 100+ IBU excite me. thus, the 90 min chinook, 20 min simcoe + amarillo.

I just tried that brew on vacation!They are calling it Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale now. Its great!:rockin:

I brewed a version of this last night as a sort of anniversary beer of my own (been doing AG for about a year now). I brewed a 7 gallon batch because of the amount of hops and because I use primarily pellets and I let most of them through so I end up with a good amount of trub. With a 6.5 or 7 gallon batch I am usually able to fill a 5.5 gallon keg after trub, yeast and dry hops. Anyway, I'm babbling, so here's what I did.

7 Gal. Batch

21lbs. Great Western Two Row
1lb. Carafa II
1lb. Crystal 60

4oz. Chinook pellets (90 min.)
1.5oz. Amarillo pellets (0 min.)
1.5oz. Simcoe pellets (0 min.)
1.5oz. Amarillo pellets (dry hop 10 days)
1.5oz. Simcoe pellets (dry hop 10 days)

This was mashed for 60 minutes at 152-3
The pre-boil gravity was 1.066
The post-boil gravity was 1.091

I ended with just under 7 gallons and pitched on half of a yeast cake of WLP001 California Ale Yeast.

This morning its is very vigorous and I have high hopes!

We took a 2-1/2 gallon keg of the Black Ale to a 50K last weekend. I finished up the run, got cleaned up and brought the keg over to the picnic area. Wife wasn't too happy. By the time she finished the keg was kicked. :p Heck, even I only got two 10oz glasses myself. Didn't think a beer this dark and hoppy would be such a hit. If I'd known, I would have brought the whole 5 gallons (but it's good to know that I have another 2-1/2 gallon keg in the basement.)

It was a great post run party. German caterer had all you could eat bockwurst, sauerkraut, potato pancakes, German potato salad, German chocolate cake . . . and other people brought more beer.
:mug:

sweet! We just put the keg into the fridge and hooked up the gas today. It will be a beer to remember...for the second time. :mug:

We have soft water for brewing and it really makes my malt profile come out a lot. So I keep most all of my beers under 1.020 FG otherwise they become too sweet tasting. This Black IPA finished out at 1.012 I think and is dry dry dry! And bitter.

This looks like a great beer
I am planning to brew it as soon as I get the ingredients.
But as I am new to brewing I have a few questions
1. dont know what to temp ferment at I assuming 68 deg
2. how long in primary and secondary
3. keg conditioning if any
4. when to add dry hop additions

Thanks for all the work put into this recipie

ahh young grasshoppah. So much has been said in this thread already that you shouldn't need to ask such questions. I will help you out though just this once.

1. you assuming right
2. However you like. I do 10 days in "primary" and then another 10 days in secondary with Dry Hops
3. If you mean how long to wait until drinking from the keg, that is up to you. I like my beers after about two weeks in the keg, though by that time they are sometimes empty :mug:. If you are using sugar to carbonate a keg, then you need at least three weeks to get the carbing before putting it into the fridge and starting to chill it for a week and then drinking.
4. See number two above

Master Chi AKA Matt Up North
Being such a green grasshopper sometimes you need it in black and white

Thanks again for the Big Bro help
GFrank

Maybe the has already been said, but I saw it tonight at the store. It is called Self Righteous Ale. A permanent fixture now for Stone.

I just pulled a pint tonight and this is what I got...

photo-723636.jpg

A bit blurry, but a damned fine beer! I had three after trying a fine bit to kick my Belgian keg. I had at least three yeast beers instaead of three excellent clear Belgians. Nonetheless, I totally enjoyed having three pints of a fine Black IPA.

I am freakin feelin in!

So I took a little road trip down to the Stone brewery in Escondido this past weekend... just thought I'd share a couple of tidbits from the outing...

First off, Sublimely Self-Righteous (the year-round production title of Stone XI) is my current favorite beer... and they were OUT OF IT AT THE BREWERY!! This was a major disappointment for me, but it's ok because my attempt is finishing up in the next two weeks.

Secondly, the tour guide claims that they use smoked malt in some capacity for this beer. I am not sure that's true (this tour guide said he isn't really involved in the brewing process), but it's an interesting idea to think about.

Lastly, the on-cask version which would normally be available at the brewery also uses Columbus/Tomahawk in addition to Chinook for bittering and dry hopping. A very interesting discovery for me, because I did exactly that just to put my own twist on the recipe.

Even though they were out of the SSR, the food there is rich and flavorful and I washed it all down with plenty of my other favorites (Pliny, Stone IPA, Racer 5, Stone Pale Ale...).

If you haven't been, it's a great brewery to see (especially as a beer-loving structural engineer) and is worth the trip.

My god, this thread has gotten me sooo excited to get this started. I will begin an all-grain version of this as soon as I attempt a very basic IPA as my first all-grain.

Can't wait. :ban:

Thanks for the tip.

I was also thinking about splitting this batch into two 2.5 gallons after primary to oak one of the batches. I'm hopeful that this will compliment the beer.

haven't started yet. I'm still researching different recipes right now. I am going to hopefully start this next Saturday. I'll post an update once I've done it.

i was talking to cladinshadows, but that would be great. I think he's probably drinking his already. I just brewed a batch of Arrogant Bastard. Came out great! But this SSR is wicked good and I'd love to even get close to the real thing. Let me know. I may just go ahead and order the ingredients anyway!

When using the carafa III, do you put it in for the entire mash? If you add it at the end, won't it drop the temperature?

I don't see what putting it in at the end would get you. I couldn't find where you read that, but I wouldn't bother. If anything you could steep them in a sock post mash.

Brewed this today. Didn't see the mash temp recommendation, and went with the usual around 151-152. Otherwise the day went pretty well. OG of 1.084, we'll see how low the S05 can take it down.

Brewed this today. Didn't see the mash temp recommendation, and went with the usual around 151-152. Otherwise the day went pretty well. OG of 1.084, we'll see how low the S05 can take it down.

I actually bottled mine today. I mashed at around the same temp. I think oversparging caused me to have a lower gravity, but I can tell you one thing. This stuff smells great and tastes great too...even in it's raw state. I can't wait to be drinking this.

Latest posts

Back