British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just brewed a version of this tonight. i changed up the crystal 60, and added some honey malt into it. also i boiled the goldings for 60 and the fuggles for 15 instead. i also used wyeast 1099 whitbread ale as the homebrew supply store was out of the 1056. but it smelled and tasted quite nice as i brewed it. i also plan on adding a few pounds of honey to the secondary to bring out maybe a hint of honey flavor.

Ha...I've search the entire thread and have only come across the AG and PM recipes. Still being a newbie, I have not stepped into the PM world and I am still trying to figure out the AG to extract conversions.

Looking forward to working with this kit and one day tasting the Nut Brown ale.
Oops. Sorry. I think you need to mash at least some 2-row for the oats, but if you want to leave out the oats and 2-row, then you can just bump up the extract total by 1/2 lb and steep the specialty grains. That should get you close anyway. Try something like this.

5 lbs 12 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
13.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
6.6 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
3.3 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)

Oops. Sorry. I think you need to mash at least some 2-row for the oats, but if you want to leave out the oats and 2-row, then you can just bump up the extract total by 1/2 lb and steep the specialty grains. That should get you close anyway. Try something like this.

5 lbs 12 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
13.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
6.6 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
3.3 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)

Thanks.

This recipe does have me considering the thoughts of building a 10g MLT or following the Easy Partial Mashing method. Maybe it is time to step towards PM and AG.

well just got back from the lhbs and got everything to do this.Never had a nut brown and wanted to try one and with all the good reviews seemed like the one to try thanks for sharing

man o ****ing man. This beer is quite awesome. I did make a few changes to the recipe and converte to PM. But this is a very good beer. I Kegged it a few days ago after 5 days of cold crashing and this is my best beer to date. I will put up a pic and will have to brew this again. Thanks!!!

Well sparky this is a very good compliment. My keg just is running dry after 4 days on tap. Damn good beer man, I will have to brew it again soon. So there is no pic to post except a glass with lots of lace and nothing else in it.

Thank you for this great recipe!

I brewed this one up back in March and bottled it up back in April and tried some at a Jimmy Buffett concert back in May and it was really nice. So, I let it sit a little longer.

I entered this beer in an SCA brewing competition last week. This beer won the brewing competition! The scores were all 4's and 5's! I even beat out some master brewers with this recipe! It was my first all-grain recipe and everyone loves it!

I am glad you shared this one with all of us. This is now one of my favorites and it will stay in the great beers that I will continue to make for a long time.

Hi Sparky - I plan to try this brew soon, and I was wondering if you have ever used Maris Otter in place of 2-Row? My LHBS is currently out of 2-row but I have MO in my store, so would be a simple replacement. Do you think this would upset the balance of the brew? Can it be too nutty?!? Also, I was planning on trying Wyeast 1332 for this - how does that sound?

Thanks! :mug:

MO works fine. I've used it before with this recipe. Never tried 1332, but it sounds interesting. Report back on the results!

I just finished brewing this recipe today. I couldn't find victory malt, so I used Biscuit. Also used Willamette for both additions. I used Safale S-05 yeast. S-04 might be more to style, but I think it will turn out fine. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

That's the thing I love about homebrewing. Find a recipe that looks good, tweak it like you want/need to, and make it your own. Your changes sound interesting, and you should end up with a fine brown ale!

Just ordered all the necessary ingredients from AHS. My only change was to the yeast (WLP002, because I recently had a bad experience with Nottingham).

This is going to be my first all-grain brew; the rave reviews in this thread made the decision easy.

Thanks Sparky!

Brewed the PM version the other night. Looked, smelled, and tasted awesome. One question though, what would be some reasons for a low efficiency?

Method: DB Easy Partial Mashing
Strike: 168
Mashed around 152 for 60 minutes.
Sparged for 10 minutes at 160.
LME added at 15 minutes left in boil (to increase IBUs).

Thoughts?

Wish I could help you with that one, but I'm not very familiar with partial mashing. If it was really bad, you might want to post your question in another thread. You'd probably have better luck getting detailed help with it.

Brewed the PM version the other night. Looked, smelled, and tasted awesome. One question though, what would be some reasons for a low efficiency?

Method: DB Easy Partial Mashing
Strike: 168
Mashed around 152 for 60 minutes.
Sparged for 10 minutes at 160.
LME added at 15 minutes left in boil (to increase IBUs).

Thoughts?

I'll take a shot at this. WHen you are asking about efficiency, are you asking because you calculated yours out? or because you didn't hit your gravity? I Just want to make sure we are all on the same page before diagnosing the problem.

I'll take a shot at this. WHen you are asking about efficiency, are you asking because you calculated yours out? or because you didn't hit your gravity? I Just want to make sure we are all on the same page before diagnosing the problem.

I did not hit my gravity by 5 points and therefore, using Beersmith, my efficiency was calculated as 59%.

Wish I could help you with that one, but I'm not very familiar with partial mashing. If it was really bad, you might want to post your question in another thread. You'd probably have better luck getting detailed help with it.

Thanks. I will post it in the AG/PM board.

Made this a couple days ago and now it's bubbling nicely. Tasted good going into the carboy, a little sweet but I can tell it will be awesome.

I made this yesterday. I changed two things to go with what I had on hand: used all Fuggles and used US-05 as the yeast. It looked great going into the fermenter. I'll have to remember to check back in once I crack it open to let you know how it tastes.

i brewed this AG today, its cooling right now after the boil. I added in some nutmeg and cinnamon to make it a christmas brew, we shall see how it comes out

Nutmeg and cinnamon sound like interesting additions. Definitely let me know how that works out. May have to try that sometime.

How much nutmag did you use? Did you put it right in the boil?

I honestly couldnt tell you how much I put in. I put spices in beer like i put spices in when I cook, which is without measuring.

I can tell you that i put a cinnamon stick in for the full boil. I threw like 8-9 dashes of nutmeg in for the whole boil.

Then at the end, like 15 minutes left, I threw 3-5 more dashes of nutmeg, and 3-5 dashes of ground cinnamon.

I might have overdone it, but I will find out later.

i brewed this AG today, its cooling right now after the boil. I added in some nutmeg and cinnamon to make it a christmas brew, we shall see how it comes out

Just transfered this into the secondary on Saturday. Gravity was at 1.018. But there has already been airlock activity in the secondary, so it should make it to around 1.010.

The sample taste was great.

What a great beer!
I used to think Avery's Ellie's Brown was my favorite brown, but I compared it to this and I actually like this better. Avery's tastes like it has too much dark crystal in it. I prefer the balance of this recipe.
Next time I brew this one I am going to up the chocolate malt and toast the oats!

As a homebrew newbie, I picked up the necessary hardware and brewed an all in one kit as my first batch. It was an all malt kit. A friend who hadn't had a beer in years said that it was fantastic and I kept the whole process as clean as a whistle. That was my only brew up to date and I'm ready to try this recipe.

Besides finding the correct (or very close) ingredients at my local homebrew store, how might this brewing process (recipe) be different than the all in one kit? Am I putting all of the ingredients above in the pot to boil?

If there are any brew clubs near you (Google it, since you don't have your location listed), you should try to hook up with someone local and help them out with a brewday. If that's not an option, be sure to read all of the sticky threads from the top of each topic on this forum, you will learn enough to figure out the process. If you plan to do this recipe all grain, you will need to make or buy more equipment than you probably already have. Read as much as you can, use the search function on this site, and don't be afraid to ask questions that you can't find the answer to. It's also a good idea to read "how to brew", which is free online at howtobrew.com. Good luck.

Doing my second batch of this tomorrow... One of the best recipes I've ever found online. Thanks again, Sparky!!!

Back