To all Beginners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash501

Reaction score
I see alot of beginners on the boards, I havent been on them in a few months because summertime in Florida = busy at the job lol. Let me save you all a few weeks of your life and stress one word

sanitize!

No matter if you go with the basic kit, the delux-supreme kit, glass or plastic, its all dependant on clean equipment. Sanatize everying, not just your fermenters and spoons, anything a ingredient will touch, do it. I personally even use the purell hand sanitizer that kills 99% of germs before diving in. Just some advice to you all, and happy brewing.

Cheers

I'm going to say a Sentence that's even better...

"Use the Search function for this message board."

You'll find *everything* because we've all been there and asked that. :)

lol I agree, the search function helped me out alot. As you can see I only have 10ish posts, that dosent mean I didnt have questions when I first started :)

On the other hand, a vibrant online community could not exist without new members coming in and asking questions and even the same questions over and over. You always get slightly different answers and occasionally all new perspectives as each individual adds his particular spin to both the questions and the answers.

I like to think of the search function as a secondary tool to augment knowledge, delve deeper into a subject, observe the changing trends in styles, practices, and opinions over time. I'd hate for people to only use the search function, or even to prefer it to asking a question that is directly pertinent to them. That direct participation and social element constitutes much of the value of a forum environment. Anyway, the search on this forum is crude, a blunt force tool lacking boolean subtlety. It's hard to use, and either ignores keywords or returns too many hits.

Without the constantly changing dynamic element introduced by both new and old members asking questions, and even repeat questions, the forum would lose its pulse, its vibrancy, its life, and its appeal. Knowledge would grow stale, camaraderie would evaporate, and we could replace the whole thing with an FAQ.

That wouldn't be any fun at all. Besides, some of us are just naturally loquacious.

beer4breakfast said:
On the other hand, a vibrant online community could not exist without new members coming in and asking questions and even the same questions over and over. You always get slightly different answers and occasionally all new perspectives as each individual adds his particular spin to both the questions and the answers.

I like to think of the search function as a secondary tool to augment knowledge, delve deeper into a subject, observe the changing trends in styles, practices, and opinions over time. I'd hate for people to only use the search function, or even to prefer it to asking a question that is directly pertinent to them. That direct participation and social element constitutes much of the value of a forum environment. Anyway, the search on this forum is crude, a blunt force tool lacking boolean subtlety. It's hard to use, and either ignores keywords or returns too many hits.

Without the constantly changing dynamic element introduced by both new and old members asking questions, and even repeat questions, the forum would lose its pulse, its vibrancy, its life, and its appeal. Knowledge would grow stale, camaraderie would evaporate, and we could replace the whole thing with an FAQ.

That wouldn't be any fun at all. Besides, some of us are just naturally loquacious.

r u sum kinda koledge grajate?

beer4breakfast said:

Finally, someone that appreciates the power of words...

...Thanks!

:mug:

beer4breakfast said:
On the other hand, a vibrant online community could not exist BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Besides, some of us are just naturally loquacious.

O RLY?

-walker

:D

And I'd leave it at that, but I just discovered I have to have at least 10 characters in my post. I can safely say I've never encountered that problem before. :)

OK back to the subject... how and why is sanitizing so - what seems like - over emphasized? do people actually just NOT clean there equipment thoroughly and expect a good outcome? or am i just not sanitizing good enough? because I cant figure out what I am doing wrong but my brews have all been turning out the same. I am VERY wash/sanitize savvy as I have been bartending for almost 10 years now but I always am wondering if I am OVER sanitizing (even with a very diluted no-rinse sani) how long can your FULLY SANITIZED equipment be in open clean air before it is sabotaged by the pollutants, natural yeast, farts, etc before it goes bad? I have always sanitized right before brewing time and use minimal contact (usually a sanitized wipe cloth that I have used for nothing else other than sanitizing my equipment). How is cleaning/sanitizing the most overlooked, most emphasized part of brewing? I work at a restaurant/Brewery and have done the brewing with the brewer himself and i thought it was weird how it wasnt as clean or overly important as it should be, yet the beer is phenomenal every batch...

Remember, sanitized doesn't mean sterilized. I bottled today, I know I over did the sanitize thing, but better safe than sorry. Washed my hands constantly, soaked the bottles in Star San an hour (the foam bugs me, but I ignored it) soaked the racking cane, the bottle wand, the caps, the towels I used to wipe the bottles after capping. The bottling bucket, tubing, and anything else that came in contact with the beer. I bottled 2 5 gallon batches, I think it took me 4 to 5 hours, most (3/4) of that time was cleaning, and sanitizing. The up side, about 100 bottles, super clean hands and nails.

scrambledegg81 said:
He will cram a fistful of knowledge up your keister before you knew what hit you.

Uhhh... Now there's an image I could do without.

Sanitize everything post boil. Only clean items pre and during boil.

I can sanitize everything but it's pointless to sanitize the boil kettle. For instance.

I also started taking apart my bottling bucket and bottle filling tube. The tap in the bucket had deep mold or something my cleaning and sanitizing didn't get. It is easy to take apart and clean. The filling tube would collect yeast and stuff that transferred into my bottling bucket. I would not see it until I took the spring and stop out of it.

Back