3/4" Stainless Steel washer is a stealthy creature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
I have spent the last few weeks piecing together my AG getup. Gotten the inline water filter set up, new brewpot, burner, all the goodies. Bought everything for my Coleman Xtreme 70qt MLT but can not for the life of me find a single 3/4" SS washer! Today my travels included Home Depot, Lowes, and the local True Value with no luck finding anything over 5/8", which I bought two of and definitely do not fit. :( No copper, no nylon, no rubber, no nothin'. I was hoping to brew up my first AG next weekend since the temps are supposed to finally be above freezing, but this last tiny $0.55 piece is just laughing in my face! Does anyone know of an online vendor that sells these? I'm hoping I can get an order in and ideally receive something late next week so I can maintain my planned brew date. Thanks for any input!

McMaster Carr. McMaster-Carr

The only issue is that you'll have to order at least 10 if I remember right. Still you can sell the extras here at HBT and still come out ahead by a few cents.

I had a tough time finding a 5/8" SS washer for my mash tun a few months ago. My local Fastenal had them so you could try them if they are nearby or their online store.

I also could not find them anywhere until I went to a small locally owned hardware store. Only problem was the washer was like $3

You might google McGuckin's Hardware. They are in Boulder, CO and I know they do online sales. I don't know if they'll sell you one washer though, but it's worth a shot. I just got a 5/8" stainless washer there, so I'm sure they'd have 3/4".

I would get in the phone book and find a plumbing supply place. There's one near where I live and its one of those places thats down by the docks. Call around. I don't think its a chain but you might try "Paramount Plumbing supply".

Check Fastenal. I believe they have locations all over the world. You have to buy a pack of 10 and it's about $4 but at least there's no shipping/waiting.

I got mine at lowes. In the little drawers right near the front when you walk in. The people there were no help, but I bet they have them.

I had the same issue as well. I did manage to find a SS washer that the inner circumference was too small. I put it in the vise and took a dremel to it.

This did NOTHING but make the damn thing hotter than ****. I think Im still trying to grow back my fingerprint from it. +1 to the fastenall. It will make life easier and save you lots of cursing.
-Me

Well after traveling to four different locations all across town throughout the weekend, I found a Fastenal less than a mile away from home today. I am now the proud owner of a 10 pack of 3/4" SS washers! Thanks for the tips everyone. I've got 8 of these left over, so if anyone needs one shoot me a PM; I'll send 'em out for the cost of shipping (a stamp?).

I have posted many of times on this forum to not forget and check your local marine supply or a marina if it has a good chandlery for stainless parts. This has been my best source of stainless supplies all under 1 1/2 miles away. Granted not cheap when the word marine is added to any part but it's better than no part at all. Usually a 5/8" washer will have close to 11/16" ID. For those "in between needed ID sizes a quick boring bar pass on the lathe plus a debur to break the edge then good to go. With 5 marine supply stores under two miles it's easy pickings what I need besides 13 marina's on my island alone. That must of been hell grinding gummy stainless with a little Dremel grinder.

Fastenal sells packs of washers but my local store broke a pack for me since I only needed two of them.

I didn't want to run all over looking for SS,
so I drilled out a dollar coin.
IkeWasher.JPG

Back