True 2 door kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to pick your collective brains. I got a true GDM-49
white-true-gdm-49-swing-glass-door-refrigerated-merchandiser-49-cu-ft.jpg

I want to serve 8 taps of it, already have the lines and taps and regulators setup. However I would like to keep it easy to access. I was thinking about replacing the glass doors with wood and drilling the taps through and chalboard painting the doors however removing the glass is a pain in the ass. Do you know where the coils are on these things? Can I drill through the side? Should I drill it or carry on with my original idea?

I have a similar model, and the compressor is underneath with lines going through the back with a fan in the upper part of the unit to distribute the refridgeration.

All that to say, there are no lines in the sides, so you can drill shank holes without issue. Just check that your model is the same as mine :)

Good luck!

I have a similar model, and the compressor is underneath with lines going through the back with a fan in the upper part of the unit to distribute the refridgeration.

All that to say, there are no lines in the sides, so you can drill shank holes without issue.

Good luck!

Is that your recommendation? I suppose I could do two banks of 4 on the side like upper and lower.

I would question the logistics of pouring beers from the side. I assume you will place the fridge with its back to the wall like intended - depending on how deep it is (I have no reference at the moment) you could find yourself standing shoulder to the wall when facing the taps. That just seems...awkward...to me. Also then you would have those big glass doors facing forward showing all the tubing and kegs which are hidden in 99% of kegerators as its not that aesthetically appealing.

It's more work but I feel the chalkboard front door idea will look better and be easier to use. Of course this is just my 2 cents with no knowledge of your overall room set up or the exact dimensions of the cooler.

Put some type of vinyl applique over the glass fronts of the doors.
Sports, racing, military, or idyllic mountain scenes.........Joking on the last one!

Park it in a corner, with the faucet end exposed.........With it out of the way and next to the wall, there's less chance of the faucets and drip tray doo-dads and such getting ran in to.

I've been watching for one of these type coolers for myself!

I don't know what you do for a living, but if you can find a mom and pop shop that needs your trade by all means go in and offer a trade for their fridge. Worked for me 8 times.

I have the same thing but only one door
Replaced glass with plexi and ran faucet through that
People enjoy seeing the keg and lines running through for some reason haha

Back