1st Saison Attempt Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam_and_eggs

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just started brewing about a month ago and have already done 3 two gallon small batch beers (2 IPAs and 1 APA). I'm thinking about doing a simple easy drinking summer type saison for my next one and I wanted to get some advice on a recipe. This will be my first 5 gallon brew.

Type: Extract
Starting boil vol: 3 gal
Boil time: 60'

4lbs Pilsen DME (72.7%)
0.5lbs wheat DME (9.1%)
1lbs corn sugar (18.2%)

1oz hallertau (60')
1oz saaz (5')

Top off to 5 gal

Wyeast 3711

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.009
ABV: 4.8%
IBU: 21
(Used Brew Pal app)

A couple points/questions:

- should I add any steeping grains?

- do I need to do a secondary fermentation? (Which would require me to buy one)

- I wanted to possibly try black pepper and lemon in this but wasn't sure if I should stay away from the spices since it's my first one. If I wanted to do it, when and how should I add them?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Looks decent. Personally I would kick the hops up a bit, but that is because I like my saisons balanced to a bit hoppy. So you don't have to change that. No need for secondary ferm.

She'll be a pale color, but within specs. Personally, I would switch the hops- Saaz at 60 and Hallertau at 15, but that's because I like hallertau as flavoring rather than Saaz. No experience with the pepper, so I'll leave that to others. The zest of 1 lemon at flameout has worked for me, with 2 lemons being too much.

Thanks. This will be my first time using non-American hops so I'm not exactly sure how Saaz and Hallertau are. Is there an advantage of using the lemon zest over lemon juice?

I think the corn sugar percentage is a little on the high side, I would probably substitute half a pound with another half pound of wheat or Pilsen. You don't need secondary, and I wouldn't steep anything additional for this. As for the spices you shouldn't need them with this yeast strain, what temp(s) are you planning for the fermentation? I don't have any experience with lemon but if you want to try black pepper I wouldn't go above 7 grams or about 0.25 ounces for a nice subtle flavor

I figured I would cool down to pitch around 70 then let it free rise. The ambient temp in my basement is probably around 75-78. I was also thinking about maybe adding a little bit of Cascade at some point to try and compliment the lemon citrus. Maybe .25oz at flameout?

One warning is I can bet that that 3711 will drop the FG way lower then the 1.009 the software claims. That stuff is a beast

That's what I hear! I'm ok with that, I hope it dries it out nice and good.

I'm also thinking of trying my hand at washing and harvesting this yeast after fermentation.

I did a full teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper in my last saison, it was excellent. I also used 3711 but fermented a little lower. I would not go over a teaspoon if you do it.

Thanks. This will be my first time using non-American hops so I'm not exactly sure how Saaz and Hallertau are. Is there an advantage of using the lemon zest over lemon juice?

more intense flavor. Actually I usually zest the lemon with a veggie peeler, making sure not to get any of the white pith, then squeeze the lemon for the juice and add both.

Another question: should I make a yeast starter even with the wyeast smack pack? If so, do I smack it first then pour into my starter or just straight without breaking the nutrient?

spam_and_eggs said:
Another question: should I make a yeast starter even with the wyeast smack pack? If so, do I smack it first then pour into my starter or just straight without breaking the nutrient?

Yes make a starter! As for the rest it really doesn't matter IMO, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, the starter wort makes up for it anyway:)

Back